AW18 Problem Extreme CPU/ Intel Extreme Tuning Uitlity Problem

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BlackjackCZ, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackjackCZ

BlackjackCZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was having luck overclocking the the cpu to 3.7 using intel extreme utility for the first couple days I received my system. The problem started yesterday when I would increase the core current limit and decrease the voltage I started getting BSOD screens. Today, I attempted to overclock my cpu again and the problem has gotten to the point were the settings are not taking in effect at all with the Extreme Utility (even moderate settings on the core current limit). When I restart my computer after entering new settings in IXTU I get the following message: " The following settings could not be applied successfully: Core Current Limit." My Extreme cpu now has essentially been reduced to a 3.1 speed...ouch. The current BIOS is A02.

Do I have a bad cpu? Thank you in advance!

2. Traderjo

Traderjo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just bounce it back to an older stable backup setting to see if your CPU is still misbehaving. If you forgot to do a backup, I would do a clean install and then backup before modding the bios/vbios/CPU-OC. Before I do any mods on my system I always backup the entire system using a backup software such as [Acronis or AlienRespawn or Clonezilla] to back up system. for further support check out this link http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...omorrow-need-few-tips-questions-answered.html

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There is nothing wrong with your CPU. The way your CPU is behaving is normal with the stock BIOS. I believe Dell is working on a better BIOS that will allow the CPU to perform correctly, but it cannot work correctly with the current BIOS. The default value for Core Current Limit is way too low and the CPU is barely capable of holding non-turbo boost speeds. The 4800MQ and 4930MX in the systems I am using behave the same way. Don't worry about trying to reinstall Windows or anything like that. It won't help the power settings that need to be changed in the BIOS.

Core Current Limit is not adjustable with Intel XTU. The error message you are seeing is normal because of that. It never has been adjustable using XTU with the new Alienware/Haswell. When you try to change it you will be prompted for reboot, you will see that error message you mentioned, and then it will go back to where it was before because something is locked and preventing the change from being applied. You can increase Processor Current Limit and will have to do that in order to hold clocks under load. You'll need to push that to at least 120.000A with XTU. I'm running around 135.000A, but I am overclocking more. The higher the OC, the higher the power requirements need to be. Lower Core Voltage to 1.180 or 1.190, leave the mode set on adaptive. Set your long and short power limits to 175W and set the time window to 256 seconds. Some of these settings may not stick after reboot. Whatever does not, you will need to set again with XTU every time you load Windows. If you are allowing HWiNFO64 to autostart with Windows, turn that off and reboot. Then use XTU to set things. Manually launch HWiNFO64 after you change the BIOS settings with XTU. For some reason the sensors being accessed by HWiNFO64 will prevent some settings from sticking and it will also force XTU to prompt for reboot when a reboot is not required.

Here are the instructions I provided previously. [LINK]

If Dell provides a nice BIOS where all of these settings are accessible without XTU or unlocked in XTU your CPU will run like a banshee. Otherwise, we will need to figure out a hack for Secure Flash so we can do it on our own with an unlocked BIOS. Right now there is not a proven way of flashing without bricking your motherboard.

What is the bugcheck/STOP error code? If is it 0x124 (Uncorrectable WHEA Error), then your core voltage is set too low. If it is a different error code, please use WhoCrashed to analyze it or post more information.

4. kh90123

kh90123 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could also used Bluescreenreview to see what caused the crashing.

For my CPU, I am running it at a lower 4.1GHz for now. The very erratic fan table is driving me nuts. The fan wouldn't ramp up, but once it reaches certain threshold it suddenly becomes a vacuum cleaner. I want that jump to occur at a higher temperature, or change it so that it occurs more smoothly over temperature. I managed to get 938 in XTU benchmark running 4.2GHz with 170A on Processor Current Limit, but it needs 1.26V. Lower voltage would result in BSOD with the 0x124 stop code, ie not enough core voltage.

Like what Mr. Fox said, all we need is the BIOS update giving us the options.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, the fans are totally idiotic. They basically do nothing until 96°C, then they decide to go full blast. Trouble is, that's too late/too hot to be of any value. They are also very slow to react to temps. They should be reacting almost instantaneous. I am assuming somebody in charge of design--somebody that is not an extreme performance enthusiast--thought it might be a good idea if they tried to make it quieter. If they did, in fact, that could be why things are so messed up with the cooling system now. I say forget about quiet... I really don't give a rat's butt about quiet. Plus, the M18xR1/R2 was never loud to begin with. Give me a beast and let me control the fans, and the BIOS, and everything else... then--and only then--life will be good. Try to decide what I need and chose it for me instead of me deciding, then "Houston, we've got a problem."

I have faith we will get the BIOS update that we need because Alienware has a lot a stake and they want us to have machines that perform extremely well.

With the direction things are headed in the PC industry in general, with bunches of locked-down "Secure" crap thanks to Micro$oft, now might be a lucrative time for more enthusiasts to become experts at SMD soldering and hardware-based ROM reprogramming. Instead of free unlocked BIOS software mods we might be looking at fee-based aftermarket mobo/BIOS mods in the next year or two.

6. BlackjackCZ

Reputations:
    Thank you to all of you for the quick responses. I am grateful for this forum and without the support..... I don't know what I would have done. I love this computer and don't want to have to return another one. I am glad to know it is normal and I hope there is a solution very soon otherwise it would seem to be a waste of money for an extreme processor.

7. BlackjackCZ

Reputations:
    I will do that. Also, download WhoCrashed to analyze. I did an AlienRespawn earlier hoping it would fix everything and it did nothing. Thanks again.

8. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    wait, so, when I get my AW 18, and the 4930xm inside, it won't be auto factory overclocked as I paid for ? I won't be seeing 4.3GHz ?

Is this essentially whats going on ?

Am I going to have to call DELL and complain and ask for another free monitor or something to make me happy every month until what we bought is what we bought ?

Because "Factory Overclocked" is a selling point... being unable to deliver on that selling point is falsifying and misleading, and unlawful... they would have to re-imburse you no matter what, or compensate you.

They are usually happy to do either of both in my experience..

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Not under load you won't... until they release an updated BIOS with correct settings and then you will. There is one setting (Core Current Limit) that is set too low and it is not adjustable. Processor Current Limit is also too low by default, but that can be adjusted with XTU, so no biggie on that setting. If they release a BIOS update soon there will be no reason to offer any compensation. No need to get too worked up about it. Alienware has been awesome about resolving issues.

10. joecait

joecait Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is this actually an Intel problem? Sorta like the USB issues being something Intel has to fix...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.