AW18 1070

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Rymesis, Jan 13, 2018.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good news I finally got the alienware 18 laptops, they both have the 2 beeps of death though. Not a ram issue tried what was written on @Mr. Fox post. Didn't work. Gonna need 2 new motherboards I guess, or replace the bios or intel pch chips, if that is the issue.[​IMG]

They're in pretty good condition if you ask me!

electrosoft and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You may not have bad motherboards. Two beeps is generally a memory error code. You might have two with bad motherboards, but it could be (1) no RAM installed, or faulty module(s) installed, or (2) faulty overclock settings. Alienware replaced numerous motherboards in the Alienware 18 that had nothing wrong with them. Starting with the Haswell machines, Alienware motherboards save settings to NVRAM and clearing NVRAM is a huge pain in the ass (because they intentionally made it difficult for some retarded reason).

Here is how I resuscitated my Alienware 18 when this happened. Try the steps outlined below:

Alienware 17 (Ranger) /18 (Viking) Owners** - How to 'Un-Brick' Your Mobo

Start by removing all 4 RAM modules, two in the bottom and two under the keyboard. Do the steps above using only one RAM slot on the bottom side. If it does not work at first, set aside the one stick of RAM you tried at first and test another one. Also try another RAM slot if the second stick doesn't work in the first slot you tried using.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Tried this the whole day when I got them, the motherboard which had a 4940mx just kept beeping 2 times no matter what I did, replaced the processor, ram, gpu and tired again no luck...
    The second motherboard is definitely dead came with a 4700mq, Wi-Fi light was flickering keyboard lights on fans don't even turn on no beeps nothing, replaced processor, ram etc. It's like this one is shorted out somewhere.

These motherboards are 100% faulty and not recoverable, maybe because they are first revision motherboards which still have the dmc connector soldered I don't know. I've ordered two motherboards for £350 and I'll probably sell the other ones.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too late for me, also the card is dead again. I went on vacation for a week and put the laptop into hibernation. There’s a short on the card somewhere and that’s why I’ve been without a computer since the middle of May.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt but after the expense of a motherboard and changing out every other piece I could think of that might cause a short, Removing the video card allows it to boot.

5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Return that gpu and tell them to send you an msi gtx 1070, it is worth the case mods trust me. That will NEVER run into issues even if you overclock it and run it 24/7 with 100% load. I know from experience, I have had 2 gtx 1070 mxm's and always stress tested them for at least 48 hours straight before using them. Eurocom is trash, they use crappy quality mofsets on the board which is why the card either ends up burnt or shorts out due to overvoltage.

In fact I just bought another 2 more msi gtx 1070 mxm's with the sli connectors to make this mod I'm doing work.

6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Also guys just got my 2 4940mx processors, one processor is missing a ground pin but uses less voltage and overclocks higher than the other one which has all the pins and is in better looking condition. I can do up to 4.6GHz with the one missing a pin and only 4.2GHz with the other one.

Both cpu's are QS editions and reach almost the same speeds as my 6920hq @ 4GHz which is AMAZING! Gotta say it was worth the money getting the 4940mx and not the 4930mx.

electrosoft likes this.
  7. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    What temps and sustainability at those speeds under Wprime1024? That's usually my baseline check after the CB10, CB15 and Wprime32 run.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    No idea have to check, I put both processors in a lenovo g510 that has a socketed i3 processor, it was drawing 70w when the i3 only draws 35w lol. Due to only one heatpipe on the heatsink, YES ONLY ONE, I metal pasted both processors. Got an ice pack and before running benchmarks put the ice pack directly on the heatsink. Temps resulted in about 75c max and NO THROTTLING! The ice pack melted in minutes though. Got 750cb on the cpu missing a pin (4.2Ghz) and 738cb (4.2GHz) on the other cpu. The power adapter cut out often resulting in the laptop shutting off, hence I needed to do the benchmarks multiple times.
    Not gonna try it again in that laptop, just needed a baseline benchmark to see if both could compete with my 6920hq.

The missing pin 4940mx can do 4.6GHz but can only handle a tsbench (throttlestop becnhmark) , hence it's not stable.

When I get the alienware 18 motherboards I will do a proper test as the cpu heatsink has 3 heatpipes NOT 1 lol. Also I don't want to stress that lenovo too much, it might kill some components on the motherboard considering the power adapter is only 65w and the laptop is meant for a 35w processor.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    electrosoft likes this.
  10. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bit of a complicated situation, but I'll check into the MSI 1070. Does it require different heatsink mods than the other 1070?