AW18 1070

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Rymesis, Jan 13, 2018.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Technically it could work if he did a 4k edp mod like I will do, as the signals can run through the dp port. There are 4 channels available through edp and the bandwidth is significantly higher.

Actually forget that just get a 1080p edp panel do the edp mod and your amd + nvidia gpu would work I'm sure about it. No iGPU will get in the way and you will get more bandwidth for your cards to run.

It would take alot of modding to do but if your up for it you can try. I'm not so sure about EC compatibility with the rx 480 though which is why I will stick to nvidia mxms

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    No EDP port in the M18x/A18, good luck finding the pinout from the LVDS socket and wiring it to an EDP conversion board. Not worth the effort

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    He's got some mod planned for the summer for eDP so I'll just have to wait and see how it goes before I let interest peak any further.

Since SG mode is not an option for my use case, haswell doesn't convert signal and I still desire acceleration for physx. Tbph it doesn't need a video output. Driver isn't an issue and hasn't been for a little while, that was an issue at one point though Nvidia finally gave in on front unless they reinstated that position recently.

I'm very purpose oriented, if it doesn't work out I'll scrap the whole idea and just build a desktop later. I just hate air travel with a desktop even if it is an sff. Dual gpu means mATX and AMD vendors have garbage offerings still

4. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Already found the pinout from the schematic and from @Khenglish 's help I have the cable I'm gonna use too. This should be interesting. All I need to do is take one side of capacitors and directly solder on to them. There are quite a few but I am aswell as @Khenglish confident that this mod will work. Even the voltage pattern lines up! Can you believe that.

5. nbr2019

nbr2019 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Waiting for results ☺️

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I believe I may need to sell a 64GB RAM stick from my desktop to get the 4k panel and 2 msi gtx 1070's (sli compatible)

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    For now I would just test to make eDP work before committing that level of investment. That seems to be the biggest hurdle if I am to understand the scenario correctly.

Its always irritating selling expensive components from a failed upgrade...well it is for me anyway lol

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I have a few laptops that can make use of the gtx 1070's, I am buying them firstly to see if sli actually works, it will be put inside a p870dm-g at my bosses workshop which ironically I ordered for him. If it works then I will use the gpu's inside the alienware.

Long story short I have three attempts to get it right considering I have three alienware 18's LOL

nbr2019 and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    And hopefully if I do screw up I can get the motherboard repaired from my workplace, yes my boss doesn't mind at all.

nbr2019 likes this.
  10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Make a new thread for this long journey of the AW 18 getting the EDP mod treatment.