AW18 1070

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Rymesis, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Rymesis so What has happened so far? I managed to get a gtx 1070 msi edition working fine. DO NOT BUY THE EUROCOMM VERSION they freeze and hang on nearly every laptop I tried it seems they become faulty literally after you put them in the machine, what a crap design. Msi is the best 1070 with enough case mods it should work. And you can stress it hard with no issues, no artefacts on high overclocks etc. They did a good job.
    I'm modding my aw18 to support a 4k screen and msi gtx 1070 sli. Just need an sli connector cable.

Edit: btw the msi gtx 1070 mxm pulls around 130w at load for me having two will just leave enough room for the processor.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Is it possible to run 2 GPU's independent of each other?

I never had a slotted MXM laptop with 2 slots so I am not sure of how it determines primary and slave GPU.

3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    It has a slot for the primary mxm and a slot for the slave one. The master = primary one is used for mainly everything and the slave one is used in sli format. Otherwise the slave isn't even used unless a specific application needs both gpus like mining applications etc.

TheReciever likes this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    So then, the scenario I have been building interest within isnt impossible then?

The RX 480, even though is only said to support eDP worked in the R2 in SG mode. With that in mind (though the processors are different), would it be able to work in tandem with an Nvidia GPU in the slave slot for just Physx related work loads?

I know there are better performance options but I have been interested in game dev and wanted to toy with Vulkan API, which works well with AMD GPU's and also wanted to incorporate PhysX.

I guess building a desktop would be easier, but its not fun for air travel in the slightest.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I'm sure it will work. Im guessing that you just have to disable one or the other when you want to run the card.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    It will PROBABLY NOT work. M18x already panics with IGPU enabled + 2 980M enabled (LCD stripes), forget about two different vendors + intel. Only reason RX 480/1070 work in SG mode SINGLE card is because the iGPU converts eDP signal to LVDS. Forget trying to combine two signals into one stream from the same card, let alone two different ones. Desktop is a different case, video output is directly linked to the card, iGPU doesn't route or convert anything, you always have one stream of video output. Not the case if you try to do the SG/iGPU trick in the M18x/A18

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  7. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yes I think it would work but drivers may become an issue as PhysX will not work if an AMD card is detected have no idea why but nvidia made it that way, so if you get it working just disable the card in device manager and use the other. You can try to run both in games which support directx 12 but I'm not too sure how this would work out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.