AW18 1070

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Rymesis, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still waiting on that RMA, they've had it in possession since 2/5 and no real status update. This is dragging out reeeaaalll long since I started this quest in November, and it's getting ready to be March.

2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I would probably prefer 1070 over 980M SLI only because of having to do reset trick for no throttling. But otherwise 980M SLI is more convenient. PEG mode allows nVidia cards to route the video outputs (DP 1.2) vs Optimus being led by iGPU (DP 1.1) etc.

I find it annoying having to have iGPU control everything. As said Optimus isn't a benefit here since we can always run iGPU only for better battery life.

3. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still no updates?

4. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just letting everybody know, Zotac 1070 also works in Alienware 18

triturbo likes this.
  5. Rymesis

Reputations:
    Supposedly I cracked the GPU die on the card according to Eurocom.

The AW18 heatsink requires a -Lot- of modification, I even purchased one modified and it was nowhere near modded enough. In addition to grinding away the areas that the AW17 heatsink requires, you must grind away part of the center aluminum due to a big fat mosfet. It also does not cover another mosfet of the same variety at all.

Honestly, at this point at $410/repair, I'm unsure if I even want to attempt this again, or just to sell the 1070 instead of risking damage again.

I'm about $1,300~ish into this at the moment without the $410 repair. It's a nightmare.

6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
  7. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Cut your losses, and next time don't buy from shady eurocom. I wouldn't even entertain the 410$, just sell the card for parts on ebay, you can probably get 250-300$ back out of it that way. I very much doubt you cracked the die, more likely you crunched a VRM or MOSFET, neither of which take 410$ to repair. there is no way for them to verify a cracked/damaged core short of an x-ray machine.

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah I wouldnt buy from Eurocom either...seems vastly overpriced for what is on the table.

9. Rymesis

Reputations:
    I just went ahead with it, even if I got it back and sold it for $300 then I'd still have to pony up another $400~some to get another 1070, plus additional time without a video card.

I know it's throwing good money after bad, but at this point I just want a functioning laptop with a 1070 and this to be over, I started this journey in December, it's almost April now, so I haven't really been able to do anything that the Intel 4600 graphics can't handle.

10. Raidriar

Reputations:
    I would have sent the heat sink to eurocom so they can modify it for you as needed so they don’t pull that crushed die bs on you again.

11. SMOKE_SKULL

SMOKE_SKULL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I sold my a18 with 2x780 and added a few hundred and have a 1070 laptop with gsync now. Good luck