AW17 R1 (Ranger) Fan Mod

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Trabant Dave, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    I had to chop bunch of things off, I just used a small strip of hockey tape to hold it there. Whats odd is the fan doesn't look like its much crazier then the ones before, the fins are more numerous and smaller /thinner.

2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    You would have to look at the electric motors of both; the difference between high/low power fans is mainly in the number of windings (and wire's thickness) on each coil and the number of coils (3 or 4). Of course, more windings increases cost, but also space; the stator housing would have to be larger to accommodate all that copper (or it has empty space inside):

[​IMG]

3. ted2033

ted2033 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, is M17x R4 Fan 11.4CFM Dell P/N -THPDJ 0THPDJ totally suitable to M17R1 GPU fan without any modifications? And does it lower the temperature as expected? Thank you for your answer!
    ?

4. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Yep it is...I think the experiences are posted before, give this full thread a read :vbthumbsup:

CPU fan - M14x R2 - XN0G5 10.7 CFM - dremel needed / M17x R3 - GVXH3 6.5CFM
    GPU fan - M17x R4 - 0THPDJ - THPDJ - 11.4CFM
    These are the current moddable options for AW17 R1...:vbwink:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. ted2033

Reputations:
    Yea, I believe it's worth a try. I have searched M17X R3 -GVXH3 fan on ebay and other platforms. However, I can only find the 2.3CFM fan with the P/N GVXH3. It's very strange. Anyway, I will buy the M17XR4 fan to substitute the disaster original GPU fan.

6. ted2033

Reputations:

7. Trabant Dave

Trabant Dave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Didn't realise this was still creating interest!

The THPDJ fan is the one I used; there's usually a few listings on eBay for not much money; if you are in Europe it is a little more difficult to find but there is currently a Lithuanian seller called dellpartsonline with 100% feedback, - see item 111697774085

8. ted2033

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm still interested in the fan mod. It is easy for me to buy these fans since I live in Hong Kong and can buy these fans from China directly (All these fans are manufactured in China). I have used the THPDJ 11.4CFM fan. But I have problems since the maximum RPM is still locked at 3400.(With hwinfo64 I can push to 3600rpm). And the GPU temperature seems to be reduced by 2-4 degrees Celsius.

9. Trabant Dave

Trabant Dave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

That's close to my figure; not a bad reduction IMO and together with the higher CFM fan on the CPU a pretty worthwhile upgrade - even in our very warm spell currently in the UK my machine has remained under alarm temp under test/use.

I haven't used any external cooling measures either, although I'm waiting for a Thermaltake Massive TM to arrive from the USA - probably just when the weather deteriorates......

10. scarastisis

scarastisis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are there any fans that will work in a 17 r1 that don't require a lot of modification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.