AW17 R1 (Ranger) Fan Mod

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Trabant Dave, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trabant Dave

Trabant Dave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like I opened quite a can of worms here!

I'm still waiting for my donor stock fan to arrive from San Diego, should arrive soon I hope - as I'm in the UK things can take a few days to arrive from the US

I managed to source a genuine Dell THPDJ locally, so I'll do the whole job once everything is here.

The PWM controller look like a great idea - I've done a quick eBay search and found a few bottom covers, Dell P/N 6Y5CP - sadly for me they are all in the United States....

The only one I managed to find in the UK is on Amazon - at a very scary $332! I've owned cars for less!

2. DaveFromGameaVision

DaveFromGameaVision Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know which wire controls what on these fans? I'm guessing they are 5V, Ground, PWM, tach but they are all black on mine so I don't know which is which.

3. toto29620

toto29620 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Well i would not try this, i don't think the motherboard will apreciate a lot. Might be worth a try on a cheap desktop motherboard. Some mobo have a security and shutdown or beep a lot if the fan stop working properly.

4. toto29620

toto29620 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Look a the end of the cable near the fan, you will see some smal dot , a red, blue and yellow or green one. Red is +5V, yellow rpm signal , blue pwm signal and no dot is ground. That was like that on the m14x fan.

5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I think this should be posted here, suits better :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Papusan likes this.
  6. Trabant Dave

Reputations:
    I've now received all my replacement fans, and after a quick run with 3D Mark Vantage I recorded temperatures;

This is with the THPDJ M17xR4 GPU fan

GPU Min 46c Max 84c

CPU Min 56c Max 89c with the exception being Core 3 Min 54c Max 83c, which is interesting....

The 'standard' CPU fan arrived too - although instead of the XVXVH 1.66cfm unit DC28000CMF0 which I expected, I received DC2800099F0 GVHX3 which is a 6.5cfm fan of exactly the same size and shape as XVXVH.

I'm going to swap my modded XN0G5 M14XR2 fan with the GVHX3 and rerun 3D Mark, to see if the temps and noise are affected.

The GVHX3 is the M17xR3 CPU Cooling Fan and could be suitable for folk who are not as comfortable Dremelling bits of their expensive hardware as I am......

Papusan and Ashtrix like this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Wow bro that's amazingly good piece of information, a 6.5CFM would be much better than a whole dremelling work of M14x R2 ~11.4 (guessing :vbtongue:) CFM fan !!

But this 9xxM Maxwell BIOS UEFI requirements make me feel sad for my AW17, whole win8.1 crap, tbh hate that OS & Lockdown on the beast machines...

By the way on OT (sorry :p) at computex the Clevo is refreshing 2 current machines and one of them is the P3xx SM-A - The SLI Broadwell refresh, Plus have a look here -> P7xxDM . These are being refreshed with Skylake support as Broadwell socket supports it, ThunderBolt 3 / USB C, Nvme PCIe SSD...oozing with latest tech !! these will rip the flesh out of Alienware, MSI, ASUS & eat em alive :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Papusan likes this.
  8. Trabant Dave

Reputations:
    I've now re-run the tests and the CPU temps peaked at only 1c more with the 6.5cfm fan than the 10.6 fan - that to me is within a margin of error; and consistently below the 92c+ with the stock fan.

I'll need to run a few more back-to-back tests and see if this pattern is repeated - for the minimal outlay I'd say that a higher capacity CPU fan is a good if modest improvement, and the noticeably lower GPU temps with the THPDJ fan even more so.

@ Ashtrix, Windows 8.1 lasted less than ten minutes on my AW17, before I extracted the stock HDD+mSATA and replaced with the SSD and mSATA from the old unit - back to good old familiar Win 7 Ultimate. I'll probably take the free upgrade to Win 10 Pro BUT I'll be making a full back-up first!

And looking for a Win7 skin or theme too.....

Trabant Dave = stubbornly resistant to change!

Sadly I think I will be deserting the Alienware brand for my next desktop and laptop; I'll build my own desktop and reckon the only serious laptop option is Clevo-based now, since AW went 'boutique' instead of 'enthusiast', so thanks for the Clevo info there.

If anyone else has done this mod please run some comparative tests and post results here.

Outside temperature where I am (near Sunny Heathrow Airport) today is 21c, and I'd estimate around 24c inside the front room

Ashtrix likes this.
  9. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:

I use the fan your speaking of, in my M17X-R4 for the CPU. Its like 11.7CFM instead of the 4.7 I had before. A tiny bit more noisy but like 10 degree's Celsius less when overclocked and gaming for hours on end!

10. Trabant Dave

Reputations:
    Interesting that you have a 11.7cfm on the CPU there Woodzstack; is the one you have the XN0G5? I wonder if you would mind posting the serial if it's different and even better a picture.....

If there's an 11.7cfm that doesn't require any chopping etc I'd be up for one of those, my hearing is totally shot so a couple of Decibels is not too much of an issue for me, although Mrs. Trabant reckons the current fan sounds like Concorde on take-off which is possibly a slight exaggeration.......

Anything that shaves a couple of degrees has to be like money well spent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.