AW17 R1 (Ranger) Fan Mod

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Trabant Dave, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    wow ... so you just ordered it from dell and simply installed it in the place of the old one with no fuss ?

Also same fan voltage, power requirement and rpm ?

2. DaveFromGameaVision

DaveFromGameaVision Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah its the same dimensions, plug, and screw layout. It looks no different then the one installed from the factory. The RPM might be a little higher (like 3700) but it is still locked down due to the EC controlling the fans. It really sucks Dell put such terrible fans (and locked the stupid max fan speed) in these laptops, it would have been amazing to have the versatility of the M17X R4 hardware in the 17 R1 chassis.

Ashtrix likes this.
  3. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Normally using HWinfo the max on the default GPU fan using Dell EC is 3400RPM (Can run full blast if the fans are not turning on, hot environment only. Else they will but after the 70C mark. Can't use the custom RPMs because of EC lockdown), then my doubt is we still can't run the fan at full max of its 3700RPM due to the EC limitaton having the max GPU fantable RPM set to 3400 ??
    AFAIK these EC fan tables can't be fixed even with an svl7's BIOS Hardmod...*facepalm*

A royal PITA these 2014 AW's and the 2015 lineup, those are like not even worth a stone..:rolleyes:

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Only consolation is that the fan profile in the new Apple "thin" AW17R2 is as bad as previously Aw17:p. Only that Aw17R2 have throttle problems during benchmark tests ...:D

Ashtrix likes this.
  5. DaveFromGameaVision

Reputations:
    The EC fan tables are unchangeable, yes, and they are stored separate from the BIOS. The EC probably controls the fans using voltage (up to 5V according to the fan) so even though the fan is different the voltage sent to it from the tables would be the same. I'm guessing the higher RPM fan has a higher max RPM or a higher RPM at whatever voltage we see as "max" that normally makes 3400.

I will play around with the fans tomorrow and double check all my numbers. I can post some screenshots too if you want something specific.

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. toto29620

toto29620 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The fan work on a pwm signal, so the power is the result of a square signal like this:

[​IMG]

But if you plug only the ground and the power wire ( the one with a red dot and no dot on the cable ) the motherboard will send constant 5V and the fan will run at full speed, witch is 4750 Rpm ( on my m17x r2, no ec fan table and things, just hwinfos and do what you want ).

It can be a bit noisy ... You can find some pwm controller board for nothing on ebay with two button to increase and decrease the fan speed. If you have some spare space inside the case and a palce for teh two button soemwhere ...

7. DaveFromGameaVision

Reputations:
    Could you give me a link to one those on eBay? I've got my stock fan laying around and would love to test it out and if it works put it on the higher CFM fan to OC.

This might be the way to fix the AW 17 fans. :vbtongue:

8. toto29620

toto29620 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is the cheapest i have found : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-Motor-Sp...220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418bfd9d9c
    An other with some wire between board and potentiometer, but i has to get 6V mini ... might work at 5V : http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-28V-Pulse...708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c207f61c

And an other : http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-30V-5A-R...087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19e85ff4bf

Look if you can find enought place to put this inside the case, after that you only need a +5V and groud, those from the stock fan plug should do the trick. It will suck a bit more power than stock so i don't know, i have no doubt that my old m17x r2 can provide power for a full town from it's fan plug :D but on the newer model with cheaper parts i don't know ...

DaveFromGameaVision likes this.
  9. DaveFromGameaVision

Reputations:
    That is some amazing info, I think I might just have to pick up a spare bottom panel and that second board you linked and get to work! Thanks!

10. DaveFromGameaVision

Reputations:
    OK so I'm sitting here thinking about this and you seem to know your stuff. Can I cut the PWM wire and splice in a switch? If I can cut one of the wires and force the fan to 100% I should be able to put the switch in which would allow me to choose 100% or automatic right? Not sure if that works (or makes sense) but that would be awesome if I could do that. Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.