AW17 R1 (Ranger) Fan Mod

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Trabant Dave, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trabant Dave

Trabant Dave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I've read a couple of posts here regarding upgrading various Alienware laptops to use a CPU fan with a greater throughput of air; I've recently upgraded my Ranger from the stock i7 4710MQ to a i7 4930MX, and found that although the system wasn't overheating at stock OR AW level one overclock that a more efficient fan would allow me to go a little further if I decide to later - still learning at the moment so will not risk cooking my laptop.....

What I did do was buy an Alienware M14x R2 CPU Cooling Fan - P/N XN0G5, and removed the heatsink, which seems to be a dual-purpose, GPU & CPU heatsink - hence the high output fan; 10.4CFM, against the 1.66CFM of the standard AW17 one.....

Having read posts that other members have made about fan upgrades, I decided that what I wanted was something that firstly did the job, and gave a better level of cooling than I was getting with the stock item, and secondly, that it looked as close to standard as possible......

The 'legs' on the 14R2 fan don't match the mounting points on the 17, so they had to go - what I did do was use the default fan as a template to cut an 'overlay' of black plasticard, which anyone who is into model railways will have used; its a styrene sheet that is available in different thicknesses and colours - I happened to have some in black so used that, and marked the mount holes with a pin-vice, drilling them out to suit the mounting holes after a few test fittings. The template was cut either side of the wiring so it sits properly, and was bonded to the M14 fan shell with high strength superglue;
    The discarded legs were used as spacers under the template, also fixed with superglue, so as to ensure the fan sat in the correct attitude, and the end result looks close to stock; see picture below.

Today I have bought a spare AW17 fan, and I'll be attempting to fit the entire 10.4CFM fan into the AW17 fan shell, toto29620 has apparently managed this on a M17R2, so we'll see if it can be done for the Ranger.....

I always attempt to keep the 'stock' appearance - it's the same with my car...... discreet enhancements is the name of the game for me!

[​IMG]

Regards

Dave

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Mr. Fox, MogRules and Ashtrix like this.
  2. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is pretty awesome! How much of a difference does this make? Is there a large noise difference between the stock fan and this one?

EDIT: I looked into the other threads about this issue and it seems there isn't much change unless your using HWINFO to control the fan tables anyway's :( . I was hoping for less of a software fix.

Damnit Alienware...fix the damn fan tables, I don't care if my machine makes more noise...or at least give us access to it ourselves.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. Trabant Dave

Reputations:
    Noisewise the sound is 'different' - there's a higher pitched whistle in there; not unpleasant or obtrusive, and you can definitely feel the amount of warm air from the rear vents is greater.

Temperatures? I'm in the UK and my living room is around 70f or around 21c, and my idle temp is 48/51c. I've used a number of different stress tests and the highest CPU temp I've seen is 88c - which is about 4c down on the maximum on the stock fan - and I have the machine running on the Level 1 overclock in BIOS. Idle temp is max 1-2c lower. I set the temp alarm at 92c on my desktop gadget, and that did trigger on the stock fan.

I have not done anything in terms of using HWINFO apart from using it to monitor the temps, so for me at least, there is a small but noticeable drop in CPU temp against the standard.

I think that the only gain is at the top end of the temperature scale , and that's where we need it! The new fan is just shifting the warm air quicker than the original.

Works for me though!

Dave

Ashtrix and MogRules like this.
  4. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Brother, on OT I'd say don't use that OC from BIOS, It's not optimized. Just because all CPUs and GPUs are never the same (Every chip requires it's custom voltage).
    On the topic, Did you tried replacing the GPU fan too , from M17x R4 (High CFM) ??
    Heard it get's fixed firmly as the dimensions and fitting are same like the ranger's GPU fan.

Trabant Dave and Papusan like this.
  5. Trabant Dave

Reputations:
    Level 1 OC now reverted to standard, while I study up on custom voltages etc; thanks for the 'heads-up' there Ashtrix;

Maybe once I have finished the CPU cooling mods I'll switch the GPU fan; do you have the Dell P/N for the high capacity fan?

Regards

Dave

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Yep, Here's the direct link from pchub they have it in stock too [M17x R4 Fan 11.4CFM Dell P/N -THPDJ 0THPDJ] :vbthumbsup:, they even have the M14x R2 CPU one too...
    I'll also be doing some upgrades to my machine, will take time though :D

7. DaveFromGameaVision

DaveFromGameaVision Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got mine through Dell by chatting with them. It will be cheaper than $40 too if they still have any in stock. I will look around and see if I can find the part number they had for it as you have to get the heatsink/fan together.

OK this is waht I had to buy. Guess the part numbers are the same... THPDJ Assembly,Fan,MXM-CARD,M17XR4, it was $13.99 for the fan and $8.99 shipping. Total w/ tax was $23.82.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Ashtrix likes this.
  8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    The price is very perfect from dell, I din't think of it because M17x R4 was quite old so thought they would have exhausted the service parts, So that wtih tax + shipping $23.82 from dell or ebay ?

If I remember correctly @thegh0sts ordered from ebay and they ended up with a low CFM, so better not to buy from ebay...

9. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    How much difference did it make compared to your R-1 GPU fan ?

10. DaveFromGameaVision

DaveFromGameaVision Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I bought one from eBay as well and it was a 2.3CFM model. They ship from China and they sell the wrong ones on purpose because you get to pay return shipping (~$15 IIRC) so it isn't worth it. Really scummy practice. I bought it straight from Dell, I got on the sales chat with them and didn't think they would have it, took all of 10 minutes to get it ordered and got here in like 2 days.

My 780M at stock clocks and undervolted 50mV (0.95V) sits in the high 60s at load, sometime it will push into the 70s. That's with the fans on the auto table, no HWiNFO control. I repasted with PK-3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.