AW14 attempting to upgrade gpu

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by EepoSaurus, Apr 16, 2018.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have an alienware 14r1 with a 765m. Its been a great little laptop and honestly is still able to do everything i ask of it. I got this crazy idea to remove and reball the gpu from an aw15r1 and put it in place of the 765m. The gpu is a 965m and also uses 2gb of vram like the 765m. Of course it is rwo generations newer but this is for science. I know that i likely will end up with 2 dead motherboards but i am curious as to what would happen. I am having a company do the work for me and i will report back. More than likely it wont even turn on and if it does the bios for both the motherboard and the video card will likely not play nice with each other but hey nothing ventured. Wish mes luck my dudes. I already have the 15r1 board and will be shipping both out tomorrw.

triturbo likes this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Wow! Good luck! For science! :cool:

3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think this would have been capable of the chipsets were from the same generation. The layout probably changed between Kepler and Maxwell so I really advise against killing two good boards. A case mod to stuff the 15r1 board into the 14 is probably more feasible