AW organization suggestions

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by custom90gt, Jul 13, 2019.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey all,
    the Alienware sub forum could use some restructuring and we are looking for your ideas on how to do it.

@DeeX suggested adding a new section called "2019+ Alienware Legend - Area51 / m15 R2 / m17 R2" as Legend is the new styling ID.

What suggestions does everyone else have? We are open to feedback on what our members would like to see.

Izen, Fire Tiger, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  2. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Yes here is my suggestion.
    Since technically the last major change to AWs design styling was 2015, I feel the 2015+ forums is no longer a good place for the up and coming new systems.

My suggestion is:

That we create a new sub forum under Alienware called I would like there to be a section called "2019+ Alienware Legend - Area51 / m15 R2 / m17 R2"
    We then move threads related threads. As of now there are not many major Legend related threads.

Here is a list of threads for the new section:

*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge
    *OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Area-51m BIOS / VBIOS Collection (mirrors)
    Thermal Pad Guide for Alienware Area-51m (9900K + RTX2080)
    Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any alienware) to locked lower versions
    Alienware Area-51m Review by Ultra Male
    Alienware Area-51m Drivers
    Alienware Area51m - All Downloads Page

*These are not all the threads. Im just listing this as a starting point

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Izen, Fire Tiger, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree with his suggestion, the "2015+ Thread" needs to be more structured.

I think the "Legend design" laptops needs a separate place in itself.. because of its soldered ram and a new design.

There should be a separate one for Area 51m because of its LGA socket.

In any case, this is a great initiative and was much needed.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

custom90gt likes this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Having m15/m17 and Area51m posts in the 2015+ Alienware 13/15/17 subforum is indeed a bit misleading since the actual AW13/15/17 line has been effectively killed off by Dell now, sadly.

The two new product lines since 2018 are "thin and light" m15/m17 and the fundamentally different Area-51m. I suggest creating a separate subforum for the thin and light, e. g.
    (2018+ Light Models (m15/m17)". The R2 "Legend" variant is essentially DoA, so I would expect another revision to follow shortly, but the thin and light line is likely to stay.

The Area 51m, on the other hand, belongs to a DTR subforum, perhaps based on / merged with the Area51 thread where I can see people actually post stuff about the 51m.

What makes absolutely no sense is splitting m15 R1/R2 across different subforums.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    VoodooChild and custom90gt like this.
  5. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Even though the m17/m15 r1 and r2 share the same name they are different essentially from the ground up.

Staring with the Area51m the legend design was born. This was the first complete design change since the r4. While the m15r1/m17R1 was a minor design change. The general styling was very similar as the r4 and r5 etc.

The legend will be the current styling even when they make a m15/m17 R3. There for I feel the sub forum should be Legend and group and laptops that have the legend styling. Within that sub forum owners lounges will be created as usual.

There are many more detailed or less detailed ways to approach this. One could make subs for each model. One could make more generalized/ less specific subs. Infeel my idea follows suit with the past and is also a good happy medium.

I'm also thinking down the road when these laptops are dead and gone. A user can easily come back and the info/ forums be clear.

6. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I suggest that the Alienware Desktop subsection be dissolved as it hasn't seen activity in many months (and also has been the least active).
    I also think the Graphics Amplifier thread might need to be pinned in the general subforum as it's present on a multitude of models (since 2014). Or maybe each of the new subsection has a link that redirects to the thread.
    The 2015+ section could probably be renamed to "2015 to 2019" or whatever the old styling ID was called, which should cover up from the 13 R1 to the m15 and m17.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I don't know how you mean to divide those 2015+ machines, but I think a new subform should be named "Legacy Systems" and move the M15x, M17x, M18x, M14x subforums under there. Those machines are ancient by todays standards, very few users still using them.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is far less difference between the m1/m17 R1 and R2 than you suggest. The form factor is identical, target user base is almost identical (at least in intent), the class of components is the same. Yes, they changed the styling and gimped upgradeability, but that's subject to change within months, especially now that Azor is gone. Will we have another subforum for each design tweak? No, so the laptop class is a far more stable classification method, which - at a risk of repetition - would be consistent in with Dell's own product classification. They didn't even include the word "Legend" in any laptop's name.

There is no point trying to predict the future here either (a taxing task at the best of times), especially based on very incomplete information. For all we know, now that Azor is gone, Dell's next steps might include killing off the whole or parts of the Alienware brand as unprofitable and/or redundant in presence of Dell's native product lines.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  9. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I think you are over thinking this too much lol. The new design is indeed called Legend internally. There have been marketing info with this code name but yes its not everywhere. I only added that cuz I knew what the new design was called.

Their chassis and components have been completely redesigned. How are the form factors identical? I'm not referring to the user base. I'm referring to the design generation of the system. How they are related for reference in the future when they are gone.
    As I mentioned in previous posts. The general design of the m17 R1 started back with the Alienware 17 R4 was launched. Compare the lid of the 17 R4 (2015) and the m17 r1 (2018) The lid is the same shape, the lines etc.
    They changed this and launched the "Legend" design which looks like the m17 R2 Area51m etc.

To me it only makes sense to group systems of the same generation together. Right now every system launched after 2015 is in the same sub forum. That doesnt make sense to me.

Below you can visually see they have a totally different chassis and design theme they are following. judging by their systems going as far back as 2009, they will stick to their general design for a few refreshes. Usually this lasts about 4 to 6 years of refreshes.

Clearly with the launch of the Area51m and the "Legend" design they have moved forward away from the design they had before which started in 2015 with the Alienware 17 R4.

m17 R1 (2018): m17r1_3.jpg m17 R2(2019): m17r2_3.jpg

m17 R1 (2018): m17r1_2.jpg m17 R2 (2019): m17r2_2.jpg

Also to add:
    This is a marketing graphic essentially announcing the new styling.
    As much as it doesn't make sense, the m15 R1 & m17 R1 are part of the old design ID.

Another suggestion, whenever a decision is made, would be to rename the current "2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17" to something like "2015 - 2018 Alienware 13 / 15 / 17"

Attached Files:

10. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @custom90gt I agree with brother @DeeX . I also recommend keeping the latest Alienware in their own sub-forums and moving all old threads/owners lounges for the older laptops to a sub-forum called "Alienware Legacy Laptops"

Be simple...be like Ultra Male... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fire Tiger and Darkhan like this.