Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Peter, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, yes and no, do you know how to solder, have the heat-sink, and schematic and can jury rig your own flux capacitor that connects both PSU's? Are you read to sacrifice your mobility with the end result? No? Well then for $475 you can have your cake and eat it to.

Yeah it's insanely expensive but hey, they are the only ones who make it and yeah it's kind of a hot item at the moment. Where else can you get a single power brick that will work with other laptops?

The only question is, will it actually work with the M18x R2 and how?

4. Homer S

Reputations:
    So... anyone awaiting ME: Andromeda? Based on the recommended specs I might have to plunk down on this adaptor to juice my 980m SLI!

Homer

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    980M SLI at stock clocks should be fine without overclock if the game supports SLI.

6. Homer S

Reputations:
    Yeah, stock clocks might be OK on this one. With Witcher 3, I was getting the "dim light" on my power brick meaning the cards were drawing more current than the adaptor can put out. I would have to separate the brick from the mains and reconnect to get it back.

Homer

7. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah I think I'm good for this game at 1440p, possibly even 3D Vision 60 FPS maxed out if community comes through with a fix (HelixMod.blogspot.com). I've updated my signature, 1080 Ti FE inbound in T-Minus 12 days and counting. Prepare for blast off Republican Space Rangers.

But yeah, ya'll on SLI might be up kaka-creek without a paddle if this game, as with every other EA game for the past 6 months, i.e. Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2, fails to launch with SLI support (high probability).

Not rubbing it in, but yeah, I think it's time to build that desktop.

8. Homer S

Reputations:
    Already got one built ;) with an NVidia 1070:

Code:
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB
    CASE ROSEWILL Stryker M ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
    CORSAIR RMx Series RM750X 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Power Supply
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
    I'm sure a patch will support SLI after a while. Hopefully before I have to figure out how to take the desktop on vacation...

Homer

9. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice! Yes good move building the desktop. I only use my M18x R2 when I'm in between homes. I live in the SF Bay Area and am in and out of veteran's shelters, my time is up in the one I'm currently in in about 1.5 years, I imagine I will be falling back to my R2 again until I figure something else out at that point in time.

Here's an idea of what's happening:

http://www.epi.org/publication/unde...-workers-pay-why-it-matters-and-why-its-real/

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015...2-bedroom-apartment-in-every-us-state/394142/

I literally saved for the past 6 months to afford the 1080 Ti and basically had just enough to swing it.

For your situation though, I would consider a small form factor build, hopefully your 1070 is reference (they are the best in this regard, and for other reasons), and I would probably consider picking up either HTC Vive or Occulus Rift and just do VR titles whilst on vacation.

You could do a small form factor build with a 1070 like this that is literally the size of a cereal box:

VR is absolutely something worth looking into either way, it's on my to do list, I just haven't been able to swing it yet:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.