Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Peter, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been on 376.09 for a while now, since I did the BIOS update and a clean Windows 7 install. No smoke since 2 Jan.

Homer

2. Filthimoney

Filthimoney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well 375.95 ran like dog s**t through a screen door.. 6057 firestrike with prema v2..
    I'll play with a few more tonight including 376.09 and report back

3. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Smoke?

4. Filthimoney

Reputations:
    Well.. I tried various newer drivers, all ran terrible. Went back to 353.00 with prema v2 and firestrike demo ran smooth as butter. Decided to try 1 last newer driver someone else spoke highly of, Crap. Went BACK to 353.00 with prema v2 and now it as well, runs like crap... I'm not sure what's going on, I'm frustrated and going to try again later.

Also wondering does prema mod need to be reinstalled every time you ddu? Would be way easier to take that out of my install/reboot steps...

In the dos box it appears it's replacing the same file each time.

5. imest

imest Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A video BIOS file is never over written with the install of a new driver, removal of driver or the use of DDU. You SHOULD not be doing a vBIOS install unless you are wanting to change the vBIOS on the physical EEPROM of the video card. Video Software Drivers are installed on your physical storage (not the EEPROM of the video card).

Hope this clears it up for you.

-imest

Filthimoney likes this.
  6. Homer S

Reputations:
    Someone was showing pics of a screen with missing lines and high temps. My "smoke" reference was to this:
    Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke
    Homer

7. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah that's what I figured you were going on about. See my last post, I am loving not having to worry about my R2 going up in literal smoke! Load temps dropped 10C!

Yeah Imest is correct, the vbios doesn't care one way or another what driver youre using, the performance issues youre describing are most likely because you've changed drivers without completely removing the remnant code from the offending driver. I've experienced the same so frequently that now I never assume that updating a driver is going to go smoothly, I ALWAYS use Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode now.

NGreedia slipping!

NGreedia board meeting Q4 2013:

"Why are we paying programmers to ensure quality with drivers? That's less profit for management!!!

Rule number 1:

Profit before all else!

Fire half of them immediately!

Us 1%'ers always could use a 15th vacation home on some remote island! Oh youre living under an overpass eating cat-food? Youre not unemployed, you've "stopped looking for work!" Unemployment is only 4.6%!

TOO BAD. You don't have superior traits! Capitalism rewards those with superior intelligence and fitness! That's why we are fracking the planet into extinction! We're so intelligent!"

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    imest likes this.
  8. Filthimoney

Reputations:
    I was originally under the impression it was modifying the video driver. Thanks for clearing it up.
    I am now back on 353.00 with a firestrike score of 8492 after: ddu, 353, ddu, 353, disk/reg/drive cleanup and restarts between everything.
    I'll stick with this for now until I come across a nice, stable, confirmed clean driver...

I wonder what driver Mr.fox is currently running. He seems to be the chief around here from what I gather lol

9. Homer S

Reputations:
    He sold out of his Alienware and has one of the Clevo desktop-component laptops.

Homer

Filthimoney likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You should join the forum... https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...t-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf/&page=64

Filthimoney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.