Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Peter, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not everyone has forgotten bricked screens in AW + some Clevo:D Try some of those suggested in thread I posted. But stay away from the latest. You never know with the Green Morons:p

vulcan78 likes this.
  2. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, what thread exactly? I'm still on 368.25 lol.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Filthimoney

Filthimoney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    good lord...........

THAT was the bit of information I was looking for before I upgraded.
    When I read your comment on my phone I ran over and booted my rig up to a black screen........ Nearly had a heart attack..... Reset again and DDU'ed and am safely back on 353.00... ill delete my dropbox file so no one makes a fatal mistake on my behalf..

Papusan likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  5. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You actually got a black screen from that driver?!

I just upgraded to 980M in July of last year and I was fortunate to get my hands on a modified 368.25, I'm not sure if there is a new driver but I would like to move a copy of Titanfall 2 from my desktop over to my laptop and am curious as to how it will run on that older driver. (single 980M, TF2 doesn't have SLI support anyway).

Some games don't actually need a newer driver, it's funny but, now that we're on the subject, 378.49 has actually destroyed performance for Resident Evil 7, one of the very games it was supposed to improve performance on lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5pzqpi/resident_evil_7_performance_tip/

If youre playing RE7 as I am, be sure to ctrl+F "reshade" on the page above. NIGHT and DAY difference, check out the before and after screenshots. I'm currently enjoying the game at 110 FPS avg. @ 2560x1440 with single 980 Ti on the ROG Swift with everything maxed out except shadow quality - High and only TAA (signature). Loving big Maxwell.

Yeah I don't know what the hell NGreedia is doing with this latest driver branch, or about 90% of drivers since 2014, they are really really losing a lot of credibility in this regard.

I remember back when, say between 2011 and 2013-2104 and they had excellent driver support.

I guess that is what happens when greed clouds your judgment, with AMD nowhere near competing with them they figured 'hey, why put so much money into driver quality control when we can just put that into the pockets of upper management!"

6. Filthimoney

Reputations:
    Opened lid, pressed power, no post, no beep, just black for about 10 seconds until I pressed power again. I'm just chalking it up to a "glitch" in the system. Idk..

From that linked thread it seems 375 drivers are safe. Surely an upgrade from my 353.00...

Thanks @Papusan I'll be more cautious in the future.

Papusan likes this.
  7. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What link exactly? The link Papusan included in his previous reply is the previous page of this thread lol.

8. Filthimoney

Reputations:
    The link takes you to his original post with a link to thread where it states the newest kills the 980m. Couple posts later someone posted saying they are running 375 with no issues, and has yet to be corrected or warned so I'm expecting it is safe.....

Has been out since November. I'll do a little more digging before I update tomorrow afternoon and let you know.

Papusan likes this.
  9. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok let me know how it performs! :)

10. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just recently acquired a 1.00v vbios that doesn't throttle, whose voltage slider can be unlocked by modifying MSI Afterburner (if you so desire more voltage) which I am absolutely in love with as my temps aren't flirting with 85C anymore at the 1.065v with Prema's publicly circulated 980M vbios. I did lose 100MHz off the top and about 1k GPU Firestrike, from 11,400 to 10,300 GPU, but man my temps really did drop 10C so it was completely worth the peace of mind.

Anyhow, attached is a screenshot after a one hour Dragon Age: Inquisition run, nearly maxed out at 1080p, 60 FPS about 90% of the time (some dips down to 50-55 FPS).

A 71C peak but actual temps hovered around 65-67C, this would have been 80C+ on the 1.065v vbios.

The average GPU utilization was skewed a bit as I did pause the game in menu to make something to eat for about 5 minutes, and only played for about 40-45 minutes although Hwinfo64 logging started the moment I started the PC. Actual avg. utilization was around 75% going by observation. I was actually temp testing to see what setting the fans to 3700 RPM right away would do for the temps as leaving them on auto, I notice that the GPU fan doesn't seem to run at a sufficient RPM, what sounds like 3700 RPM, until the temperature hits 74C, which is nice because as soon as that happens the temp. will drop down from there and there is less noise.

Dragon Age Inquisition 1 Hour 1.000v temperatures, 67F ambient.PNG

PM if anyone who is tired of 85C is interested.

And don't forget to elevate!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-ultimate-cooling-mod-to-end-all-cooling-mods.586490/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.