Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Peter, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shizz

shizz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am using the premamod vbios for clevo (GTX980M_8GB_MXM_OC_PM_v2), J95 drivers and swick. Yes, I get like 9k single and 12k dual. Windows 10. Still not getting it, what did I do wrong

I do the trick. Boot - switch to igfx - I do not wait for the OS to boot, doesn't seem to matter, bios and PEG again.

Here, the firestrike result, notice GPU load.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ~18k GPU and 9k CPU youre there!

What are you talking about?

That's what 980M SLI is good for IIRC.

You have a little left on the table CPU you wise (I'm around 11k CPU) but this is assuming youre running an Extreme Processor.

Edit:

Ah yes, I believe I see what youre talking about with the SLI score, it's your Combined that is bringing down your score and I have to assume it's because youre only using one PSU and Combined is stressing both your GPU's and CPU simultaneously, and those with dual PSU are seeing 500+ Watts current being drawn via Killawatt with 980M SLI and an Extreme Processor under full load.

Here's my combined for comparison:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9459379

Also, unfortunately you have to wait for the OS to load before restarting, re-entering BIOS and switching back to PEG for the trick to work. So if it's not power starvation that is probably your problem.

What I do to make this less painful, when I am using the R2, assuming you use it on a daily basis, is simply put the machine to sleep instead of shutting it down. That way you only need to do the trick when you get BSOD / Black Screen etc. Even if youre mobile, the battery seems to drain approximately 1% every hour, so you can probably go a solid 72 hours with it asleep without needing to plug it in and charge it.

Also, I'm not sure that there are issues with 980M SLI in the R2 and Win 10, but I do remember some stating they have compared the two and there was far less throttling and weird crap going on with Win 7.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  3. shizz

Reputations:
    Just to answer you, firestrike extreme and ultra go through perfectly, meaning 100% GPU util. I get 7500 and 4200 in SLI, respectively. That's with one adapter, so I don't overclock. The results can probably be better. The normal firestrike, as you see, doesn't. Something's wrong. Anyway, got a P870DM2-G with 2x1070. Goodbye M18X for now. Maybe I'll keep it.

4. kaza

kaza Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi to all. I have M18X R2 with A11 Swick's BIOS and currently running i7-3940XM / 24 Gb RAM / single 980M / 330W PSU. I have several questions, guys. And some news for you, also. First, my questions:
    1. Does anyone have the same mobo (M18X R2) and 970M SLI here? I need to decide should I go for 970M SLI or 980M SLI.
    2. Did anyone have any system freezes with 3940XM? It looks like CPU occasionally starts to run at 100% and that freezes the mobo. No BSOD, just 100% CPU load and I can't see what process causes it - in Process Explorer I always see 97% idle processes.

Second, my news for you:
    1. I have successfully tested single 970M and single 980M with my mobo and got NO trottling at all at stock vBios and rates. The same goes for OC'd cards with stock vBioses. Drivers are the latest from Nvidia, have tried to mod inf bymyself and download from some forums. No trottling.
    2. The audio problem you are facing sometimes corresponds to a buggy motherboard's memory controller (confirmed by Dell's support) and if you want to low the rate of occurance of this problem you need just to use not more than 24 Gb of RAM. Don't install all the four SPD sticks, just use 3 of 4 and you will not face the problem in 90% of cases. Or you can still use full 32 Gb of RAM and at the rate of 50% you will have audio card issues or occasionally BSODs after returning from idle/standby state.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  5. shizz

Reputations:
    I'll answer your questions in a more general way, at least for the first one. The newest laptops have much, much better displays, gsync and higher refresh rates. Believe me, an IPS screen makes a huge difference in gaming experience and the M18X display seems horrendous now that I got a new laptop. Second of all, a single 1070 in a newer laptop would give you better performance, much less hassle. The keyboard on the M18X is also not perfect, to my experience; a normal clicky keyboard on a laptop feels better imo. About the CPU, never had that problem, that and the speakers were about the things that ran right while I had it.

6. Filthimoney

Filthimoney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am currently running a single card on windows 8.1 with 353.00 and stock bios. Havent been keeping up with this thread in quite some time. Have searched through for awhile now and it seems the latest usable driver is 368.25. Am I correct, or is 368.25 for windows 10 only?

7. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows 8.1 LMFAO, you haven't upgrade to Windows 7 yet?

Don't bother with 10, unless you like forced advertisements, updates, and the NSA peeking around through your personal files with no actual improvement in performance in games (DX12, where is it and where is the vaunted performance bump?) but an actual potential performance hit (many games just don't run well on Win 10).

As far as driver compatibility there is a way to modify any driver on your end:

http://null-bin.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

Papusan likes this.
  8. Filthimoney

Filthimoney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well... That indeed unconventionally answered my questions...
    I'm now getting about 130 points more in Firestrike with the 378.49 vs 353.00 [​IMG]
    According to HWMonitor my peak temp on full load (bf4 on max for -2 hours) is 77c.
    Steady 50+ FPS in my current favorite, "The forest", on MAXED settings. Which also plays at a beautiful steady, locked 30fps in "virtual" 1440p on stock monitor with settings in nvidia's control panel. I'm happy :)

^All with stock clocks

Here is the 378.49 drivers ready to go for an m18x r2. Maybe it will save someone 10 minutes..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipyzy4gxldqybhx/378.49.rar?dl=0

Papusan likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Oh"well http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-drivers-378-49.800767/page-7#post-10449624 Not all that glitters is gold:confused:

Filthimoney and vulcan78 like this.
  10. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For 980M? YES THANK-YOU.

Edit:

Yeah I heard that the desktop version of this driver was causing nothing but problems but hoped it might be different with 980M. Good thing I read Papusan's comment, anyone have the last best stable for 980M? Thanks in advance.

Papusan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.