Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Peter, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    You don't have to disassemble the laptop if you don't have a 980m in the in. Just switch to legacy and update the bios.

twin snakes likes this.
  2. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cant switch to legacy otherwise you'll get 8 beeps? I'd switch to IGFX first, flash the bios then boot with 980M?PEG.... no need to disassemble, that's the beauty of the new bios!!

twin snakes likes this.
  3. MUERTE 75

MUERTE 75 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why not? You know may correct part number for 980M heatsink?

4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Yes. I will post it when i get home.

5. Infinaris

Infinaris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    U can use legacy mode without the bios if you switch to the intel graphics first before switching from uefi back to legacy. Then you can flash the new swick bios and use legacy with peg.

6. KKthebeast

KKthebeast Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question for you guys. I did the upgrade and got everything running, driver 368.22 but getting low scores on 3Dmark11 P14500 and Firestrike 13500. I am using HWinfo64 to control the fans. The Compal EC GPU2 shows the card is running hella hot on idle. BUT the temp on GPU #2 shows normal temps. Which one is the correct sensor to use to control the fans AND Is this happening to anyone else? I am asking because I am afraid I might be thermal throttling. Thank you for your feedback guys!

[​IMG]

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Disable Compal EC in HWiNFO64 settings and manually max out the fans for benching. Having the Compal EC sensor enable will cause all sorts of problems.

I'd also recommend removing the check mark for the "Average" column. That data is totally meaningless. Just get rid of the column and it will be easier to understand what is really happening in terms of CPU and GPU behavior.

Papusan likes this.
  8. shizz

shizz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Heya guys, time to post my question. I've tried to ugprade my M18X R2 to a single 980M. It's a Clevo card. Long story short, it boots, but the GPU gives out no video output. I've been able to see that it boots blindly and by launching Teamviewer on it. It's UEFI, PEG, swicks bios etc. From the moment I power it on, no video - nothing. But it boots. I don't think the card is faulty to return.

scarastisis likes this.
  9. KKthebeast

Reputations:
    Okay Thank you brother Fox as always... To my rescue! Don't know what I would do with out ya brother. I saw a whole list of sensors to monitor, swapped it from Yes to No Hope that does something positive :)

10. KKthebeast

Reputations:
    Your on UEFI? Have you tried Legacy mode? After all, That is what Swicks BIOS is for ;)

Note: I have not tried UEFI mode with Swicks BIOS. But Legacy (you will have to reinstall windows) Works great. And With SLI working. Also are you using Prema's vBIOS v2?

If so and you are not seeing the GFX post first thing when you start then I would lean to the GFX card, Prema's is the only one I have tried that has a Text based POST. Which is useful when diagnosing issues like this

Can you still boot in IGFX mode? If you need I can record the steps to enter and blind change it

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.