Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Peter, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codenamefa

Codenamefa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LoL Nah I just remember all the tweaks @Mr. Fox had shown us over the years and what to watch for. Its the same alien just a different batch of quirks.

2. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm that might be the case for you, but I dont think I have ever gone above a total system draw of 325W from with wall! (measured with a power meter) If you include the losses from the PSU the computer is getting even less power and I use an external monitor which saves about 20W, a dual psu would make no difference for me as I cant even max one before I start throttling... thats why I'm interested interesting in your power draw... your doing something that I'm not that lets you draw that extra power!

Make sure your harddrive is converted to MBR otherwise you wont be able to install a legacy version of windows.

3. Codenamefa

Reputations:
    I can give get a couple pix of the Bios and show my settings, its nothing fancy, and the vbios I use are the ones that are available over at tech inferno so idk. By the way are you using the new bios for the R2's that swick modded? that is what I'm using right now. Also to add, I flashed the bios with the cards installed and I think swicks bios has a glitch where added devices don't get treated quite right. Had that happen with the swap from my 2960xm to 3940xm.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Would be nice for you to share your settings for CPU bios , GPU Bios and OC numbers for GPU .. :)

5. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    finally update to 368.25 today after a whole year staying with 352.84
    So far so good, no throttle at all (GTAV, witcher 3, 3dmark)
    Do I need update my system bios to swick unlocked bios and switch to legacy mode as well?

6. MUERTE 75

MUERTE 75 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok that would be appreciated.

I have tried pretty much every vbios that has come out over the last 15 months, I like svl7's because the voltage is nice and low... to bad my cards dont hold 1203Mhz @1v so I got to underclock or overvolt if I use that vbios. Yes I'm also using @Swick1981 modified bios, its one of the best things to have happed to the R2.

This is my best 3DMark11 score... its on stock clocks though

There is no need to update your bios but I would highly recomend it just incase you ever need to reset your bios etc... will save you the hassel of disassembly. Also legacy mode is not needed but its nice because it lets us install windows 7 again!!

twin snakes likes this.
  8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
  9. Codenamefa

Reputations:
    Ugh, forgot to take pictures last night lol, got off work and practically went to bed.

10. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds good, so if I want to update the unlocked bios, basically I have to disassemble the GPUs out and reset the bios to legacy, then updating the bios in DOS mode right? because there's no way to update the bios in UEFI mode?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.