AW M17X R2 - SLI

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DNOYA, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I really, really strongly advise you save money towards P870TM1. If not, go for P5 Pro or check what HIDevolution sells (do not buy from Eurocom). MSI Gt60 and M17x R4 are just too old to sink any money into

2. DNOYA

DNOYA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ---
    interesting why don't I buy directly from Eurocom, yesterday I emailed them directly and asked a lot of things and they responded quickly and well, was there a problem with them? bro

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Eurocom is a shady company, not to mention overpriced. Many respected board members here refuse to interface with Eurocom. I really recommend you work with a different reseller that sells Clevo laptops. @Donald@HIDevolution gets mentioned frequently around here, he seems to be a decent, honest person to work with.

4. DNOYA

DNOYA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ---
    I see thanks bro.. for the suggestion I will consider it

5. True Debreuil

True Debreuil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get an m17xr4, can run pascal fine with either 60hz/120hz panel you just have to use optimus for 60hz. Theres next to no performance loss doing this you just get longer battery life. the 3920xm you can overclock to easily get around i7 6700hq-7700hq levels

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Do not purchase the clevo, the mainbonards tend to burn.

I would consider a GT 70.

Warning: it will make you not want to accept anything else but MSI.

7. DNOYA

DNOYA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ----
    it seems you are a big fan of MSI :D MSI laptop prices damn.....expensive bro..

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Not really a fan of MSI, I'm a fan of good notebooks. MSI made some horrible notebooks such as the 4th gen haswell GE series. I'm also a big fan of the Gigabyte Aorus X9 DT, Asus Chimera etc. I like when I get quality for my money.

The older alienwares are also quite decent, I don't like them as much as the older MSI notebooks for instance, but they are also up there.

sadly most manufacturers like to offer garbage, MSI is the only manufacturer thus far that offers a great (but expensive) overall package on older notebooks, today we got others such as Chimera, Aorus X9 DT etc.. Good driver support, BIOS support, great keyboard, great speakers etc.

While others are lacking in 1 or more thigns, such as the Alienware for instance, Mainboard is way to fickle and the lack of subwoofers in the m17 series also hurts it imo.

9. DNOYA

DNOYA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ------

actually I am a big fan of Alienware special size 15. only I am very disappointed DELL Alienware for 15 inch has no longer issued the MXM version. for size 17 is actually too big for me. that's why I also glanced at MSI GT60.

one thing that concludes me is to sell the AW M15X that I have because of the design of the Heatsink. the copper pipe used is too long to circulate so the heat flow that should be removed is not too maximal.

they should place the battery in the back and design copper pipes as short as possible and the heatsink as close as possible to this fan will maximize heat dissipation from the GPU and look like they fix it in the next 17 series.

heat on the AW m15x can only be overcome by replacing it with the first-generation AW 15 heatshink i have done it. that is sticking directly on the GPU, but must make a hole in the back. I have tried modifying and replacing the fan with a variety of fans with CFM 12.0 which is bigger but not maximal specially I use GTX 980M. so it's not maximal.

I still consider AW M17X R4 and MSI GT60 because these two laptops have the same chipset and both are pretty cheap. and both can be upgraded to GPU with pascal architecture.

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Uhm what?
    If 17 inch is to big, why do you consider M17x then? It's 17inch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.