AW M17 not an R5 vbios issue?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by PTaylor, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:04 PM.

1. PTaylor

PTaylor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok first thing is I know there was never an R5 for the AW 17. But it seems to be how this laptop is known. Anyways here is my issue. I installed as 980M everything I went fine as far as the install. Card detected and the driver installed no issues. But I noticed the GPU fan was not kicking on. So I ran HWinfo64 and basically found that the 980m is not reporting any temperatures. 0s across the board. My thoughts are either a bad 980m or I need to find a vbios that will work for this card. All thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Oh ya @MickyD1234 if you see this it is not the R4 i was dealing with before. That one has been running like a champ.

MickyD1234 likes this.
  2. PTaylor

Reputations:
    My bad. It reporting temperatures but no fan GPU side. HWinfo64 will not activate the fans.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
  4. PTaylor

Reputations:
    Well it wasn't the vbios. I think it might be the fan itself. I put the original 780 back in and the fan worked for a bit. But as soon as I went to benchmark the fan It crapped out. So it seems to be an intermittent issue with the fan. I have a replacement coming and will update when I get it in.