1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

AW M15x Throttling Issue Investigation - Stock clocks and overclocked.

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by 5150Joker, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Info no longer relevant. Dell has released a new bios update that resolves it.

2. The_Moo™

The_Moo™ Here we go again.....

you can run OCCT to have it print out in a big chart and the temps will fluctuate along with the speed...theoretically ;)

3. inap

inap .........................

is this a big issue, man just ordered M15x and now I hear this. hopefully not a mainboard issue.:mad:

4. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Until others confirm this is happening to their systems, it's not definitive. Unfortunately not a single person has stepped up yet.

5. Juason

Juason Notebook Geek

I will test mine..when it arrives! :complains: Which CPU do you have again?

I'll also post some tests using my Kill A Watt power measuring tool. It would give us a better idea of how loaded the AC Adapter really is.

6. CitizenPanda

CitizenPanda Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Agreed, run the OCCT PSU test and graph it... see what you get.

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

I ran OCCT PSU but it only shows temperature changes, not frequency throttling. I did however run GPU-Z at the same time and this is what it looked like:

[​IMG]

The spikes are when it hit full stock clocks and the rest was the throttled 3D clocks.

8. thalanix

thalanix Notebook Deity

is the M15x power brick 120W (19V/6.3A)? if it's like the G51J, then AW cut corners on power. the graphics chip requires 75, CPU @ 55, and extra for peripherals (screen etc.) which go well over the 120W with my G51.

log CPU freq/multi with http://www.cpuid.com/tmonitor.php while having those running. my guess is it will be throttled when the GPU is used and vice versa.

> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=436536 says 120W

9. CitizenPanda

No, the M15x uses a 150W PSU.

It probably requires closer to 180W.

10. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Hey thalinx, the PSU is rated at 150W. I believe the old area m15x used the 120W adapter. I'm going to do a respawn (factory restore) to rule out any possible software glitch and then run the Tmonitor with the benchmark programs. I'll update this thread once I do.

11. CitizenPanda

Your 210W comes tomorrow right? I'll be waiting for good news :) (And demanding Dell give me a free one once this is clearly the issue).

12. thalanix

thalanix Notebook Deity

150W is stretching it very thin. if it's a lower quality PSU, then at usage that high it might fluctuate too much to be stable (hence the underclocking). if any case, i would expect Tmonitor to show fluctuating CPU clocks as well, in sync with the GPU.

i wish asus would give a bigger brick :(

13. CitizenPanda

I have the same brick as you. I don't experience any throttling however, as my T9900 uses much less power.

14. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Monday is what it says. They didn't process my first order (which would have arrived tomorrow) so I had to put in a 2nd one. BTW to add to the bad news, I underclocked the GPU to 450/850/1125 and it still throttled. I don't know what to make of that, either it's a power issue or something more nefarious.

15. Abula

Abula Puro Chapin

Well this an Asus flaming into IBT+Furmark Extreme burning, 8xAA.
    [​IMG]

This is my Killwatt meter, screen while doing the test
    [​IMG]

It spike to 138W, while mantining between 119 -135.

16. thalanix

thalanix Notebook Deity

what if you try with the clocks only slightly over 3d low, 385/300/770 +50each.

17. CitizenPanda

My G60 does not throttle either. Heavy overclock on the GPU and 3.3ghz on the CPU. 32 threads on INtel Burn Text, 1920x1200 16x MSAA on Furmark.

Chipset starts to toast at 90C and I'm done. GPU seems to top at 90C as well.

18. CitizenPanda

Are you serious? My M15x better not be here before your PSU gets here... I need to know the "truth" before I open that box...

19. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

This is pretty bad, the flaming Asus laptops are holding up fine but this uber M15x can't even hold a steady clock under load. I just did a complete system restore with everything stock and tested with P95 + furmark and it was the same throttling. Definitely not good news and that pretty much rules out any software conflict that could have arisen from me installing programs and/or different drivers.

I REALLY hope the 210W PSU solves the problem but I have my doubts at this point. It seems it will either take a bios update to remedy it or even a motherboard revision. It would be nice if other M15x users stepped up and did some testing. I see so many people complaining about ridiculous things like stuttering sound or bad customer service yet they don't seem concerned enough to test their systems for throttling--which completely defeats the purpose of this laptop!

20. Brock_Sampson

Brock_Sampson Notebook Consultant

Honestly from my standpoint it sounds like a bios issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.