AW/DELL Ordering Advice - How to save $$$

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by DR650SE, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flatsix911

flatsix911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Attached Files:

2. dab89

dab89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    is there a UK version for that code? EPP VIP email (havent been getting any since i signed up initially)? 20percent is nice! especially with the price drops atm.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    What about a Dell Business version of that code? :D

4. yuin

yuin Newbie

Reputations:
    What should I fight for or ask for exactly?
    I tried and my sales rep said hes hands were tied in offering more discounts. He then went on saying he can downgrade a few products but in the end I found it to be more expensive than going through site.
    The thing is he probably forgot to take of the price of something somewhere I think.

Or am I doing this completely wrong and I should fight for just more discounts without hardware changes?

5. Marvin17

Marvin17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey does anyone know of any reps, or can refer me the rep or reps they deal with that give good discounts? if you can please pm me:)

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Try to aim for the nearly-pure profit makers. If you're getting an extended warranty, try to knock down the price of that. Or, put a few extra items in your cart and try to haggle from there.

"Yeah, I'm thinking of buying this printer and monitor along with my laptop, but right now I only have cash for the laptop. Once I get paid, I can buy the printer and monitor soon after"

...Or something along those lines/items. You don't actually have to buy the extra items either. It just helps them help you because he/she's thinking that they'll get extra commission when you buy those from him/her in the future. I did that with my W520 with a monitor, docking station, and laptop lock and I ended up getting the laptop 25% off (though I bought the lock right then, since I actually wanted it).

7. sakie

sakie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again, I decided to cancel my first order and go all out and configure a system well over 4000. I built a cart on the dell site through MPP with discounts. I used a $100 coupon. Chatted with a rep because I was tired of talking. The rep said she couldn't help me, but when I looked up her quote she had given me another $100 off. Also, the total price was $267 less than the orginal quote.

So I bought it. Dell charged me the extra $267 even though it said on the site the final price was less. I could not afford this so I called MPP resolution rep and she first offered $50, then $100, $150 and when I said I was not going to make a new order she offered a $377 rebate to my card. I was supprised since I was only trying to get back the $267.

I also got a 5% gift card and 2 day shipping free from the Advantage Program which is so easy to sign up for.

I would not adivse you say you are going to cancel unless you are prepared to do so.

Here is what I ended up with:

Alienware M18X R2 Alienware M18X R2 with Soft Touch
    Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3840QM (8MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
    Memory 16GB (4 X 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
    Display Panels 18.4 inch (467.36 mm) WLED WideFHD (1080p) display (1920 X 1080)
    Video Card Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - SLI® Enabled
    Hard Drive 1TB 5,400 RPM SATA 3Gb/s + 256GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
    Optical Driver Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    Audio Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di with THX TruStudio Pro Software
    Wireless Networking Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0
    Adapter Alienware M18x 330W A/C Adapter
    Primary Battery 96WHr 12-Cell Primary Battery
    Hardware Support Services 3 Year Alienware Enhanced Support
    Complete Care 3 Year Accidental Damage Service

Total price with tax= 3379.00 plus the 5% gift card.

The extended warranty makes it more but I use the extended one I have on my Mx17 R3 so thought I'd better get it. I am terrible at installing hardware so I went for the most I could get.

8. Marvin17

Reputations:
    hey guys i spoke with a rep the other day and he offered me a good deal. he offered me a m17x with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-3630QM
    6GB DDR3
    17.3-inch WideFHD1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED
    2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M
    500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader
    Accidental Damage Service, 1 Year
    & 200 dell gift card

he offered this to me for $1,729.64 . i took it an cant wait for it to arrive:D online price for this laptop was $2,197.00 , so that means i saved $467.36 plus the $200 gift card which makes my total savings $667.36 (since i was going to buy an extra power supply and orion bag anyways). since i am a student he was able to give me the 200$ gift card. but if anyone wants his information i can PM to you (he gave me the okay give his information to anyone that wants a deal if they are a student!)

9. yuin

yuin Newbie

Reputations:
    I think I didn't get much of deal...can someone help?

This is a m18x r2

18.4 inch (467.36 mm) WLED WideFHD (1080p) display (1920 X 1080)
    3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3740QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x4GB)
    Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M CrossFireX Enabled
    1x 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    Intel 2230 Wireless-N
    1 Year warranty and accidental damage

Subtotal is $2,370.54

The site subtotal is about $2,524.00

But I was given the 2% AAA discount I guess

Should I cancel and call again to see if I can get a better price?

**Edit

I just noticed that I was given the intel wifi card when I asked for the killer...is it too late to change a part?

10. Marvin17

Reputations:
    before i was offered my m17x r4 i got a qoute for a m18x r2 for 2,000 even but it was the base model besides the bluray reader, and one 7970m. i did get the accidental warrenty for 1 year as well. it seems to me its a pretty decent deal but if your a student you try haggle for a 200$ gift card if you want(since they have a promo right now). worth trying!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.