AW CES 2011 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by WaR, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MexicanSnake

MexicanSnake I'm back!

Reputations:
    An alienware M13X with GT 555m and normal i7's would be great!.

2. Phinagle

Phinagle Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    NBR's review of the ASUS G73JW-A1 scored 13,264 in 3DMark06 with a single GTX 460M and an i7-740QM.

According to Anand's preview of Sandy Bridge the new arch could perform 10-17% better per clock than the current arch....making the i7-2720QM faster than the i7-940XM at stock.

If you're still skeptical that a faster Sandy Bridge CPU is producing the extra 3K points in the heavily CPU-influenced 3dMark06 you can consider also there's reasonable evidence in the leaked photos to suggest that the 3dMark06 tests were ran at a lower than default resolution.

3. Sirhcz0r

Sirhcz0r Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That sounds about right. If it was SLI GTX 460Ms it would be much higher than what it was anyways. It would get around that in Vantage.

I can't wait for decent mobile quad cores. Clarksfields run too hot for my tastes.

4. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Yea but will Sandy bridge CPU's be throttle stop compatible? Or will there be other overclock options? Will it be TME locked, or only 5% overclockable? If not, then I wonder how the SB CPU will compare to a 920XM. The i7 XM CPU's have amazing overclocking capabilities now as is. Just wondering what the capacity to overclock, and capability will be like with SB.

5. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Unless Kevin builds in support for SB, I wouldn't count on it working. They'll likely be locked down even more so than the current i7s. Johnkss mentioned that the SB desktop chips were not faring very well due to some limit though I haven't read up on that yet.

6. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Which is a main reason I would stick with the R2, RGB (may or may not be available in the R3) 16:10 :(, i7 XM is a overclocking powerhouse. :D

7. Pommie

Pommie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh god yes, please say its an M13x! I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

8. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Same, I'd pick one up too as long as they make the actual notebook bigger than the M11x as well. I'd need a bigger keyboard to be comfortable typing with it.

9. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not me I wana,wana an m17x+

10. GetFound

GetFound Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are K and S sku's. Not sure where he got his facts since he didn't quote anything. The K's are unlocked and the S are performance based and seem to fare pretty well according to this The Sandy Bridge Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News.
    They're using an I5 Sandy to compare to a 980X. I would have liked to seen a higher end Sandy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.