AW 17R4 Watchdog Violation after installing new SSD

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Rajunn, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickbarbs

nickbarbs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have owned 3 crucial SSDs in my lifetime. All 3 have failed. Take that for what it is

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ever find a solution to this? I bought the same drive and low and behold....random BSOD with the same errors. If I can't figure it out in the next day or two the drives going back for sure.

My BSOD are not constant, I can access and use the drive, it just seems to be while gaming from it that I am seeing problems :( and it's completely random with no pattern, but always the same BSOD.

I just finished reinstalling Windows in AHCI mode to see if that makes any difference at all.

EDIT: NM I see you just returned it. I will probably do the same.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  3. Rajunn

Rajunn Newbie

Reputations:
    I never found a solution for the crucial drive. My Samsung 860 Evo has been rock solid though.

MogRules likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tried updating to IRST 17.2.x DCH drivers?

MogRules likes this.
  5. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have not, although I was using the newest version of IRST, but I couldn't tell you what version specifically. I am actually running AHCI mode now but I didn't even wait to see if that was going to solve it and have already started the return process and will go with another brand. I have so little time to play with my laptop as it is that I really don't like spending hours trouble shooting something that should just work. Plan on returning it for the WD Blue SATA M.2. The nVME would have been nice but it's just a gaming drive so the difference isn't going to be large.

When I started to see others that had the same problem, not just this post but in other places as well , I decided to jump ship to a different brand.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Did the crucial P1 work on other system? SATA M.2 is the way to go, less money more storage.

7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Didn't have time to try unfortunately. My desktop will take an M.2 but I have to sacrifice one of my SATA ports for it and they are all in use for my Plex server ATM.

I will stick with SATA M.2 , just won't be nVME more then likely. This drive fit the price point I was looking for $139 CAD which most nVME drives do not up here as our prices are stupid high still.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WD 1tb SATA M.2 installed and no errors thus far but it's only been in for a few hours , though I don't anticipate any issues. That crucial drive was already throwing BSOD issues at this point.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    A little heads up, I think 660p and 760p along with Crucial P1 use the same IMFT NAND chips but with a different controller from SM. The same thing is applicable on Optane H10 as well. So, in future if you get same error it might be the controller issue.

MogRules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.