AW 17 R4 hard locking randomly on certain games

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by JD$, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD$

JD$ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

just recently acquired an AW R4 2017 model. It has a 7700HQ 2.8mhz processor, GTX 1080 specifically.

Currently having issues while playing certain games. I've noticed that while playing, all of a sudden, my laptop will lock up and loop sound into this annoying infinite beep and my whole computer becomes non-responsive to anything other than powering it down using the power button.

Things I've noticed:
    -Temps have never exceeded 85C while playing(that I know of, i often check them when I tab out every 10-20 mins but who knows when it actually locks up.) I stress tested using dell support assist and it got up to 92C I think.
    -Using TS to undervolt doesn't seem to help much with temps either. I can undervolt to about .103mv but it doesnt seem to bring down the VID much. I've tried undervolting upwards to .125 but it will BSOD after about 30 mins even though the max VID doesn't seem to go down much under 1.1 so I'm guessing I was the big loser of the silicon lottery.

It feels like a driver issue but all my diagnostics passed using Dell Support Assist and I have all my drivers up to date including BIOS.

I am kind of puzzled at this point but was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this from their R4 or had similiar issues altogether with their AW product.

Thanks

JD

2. DarkthorZ

DarkthorZ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Had same issue like you. Changed a lot of os-es,tried all the regiatry hacks known to man,even changed the cpu microcode...but after reinstalling a fresh win 10 -enterprise in my case ( wink wink), now it doesnt do that,luckily. Been going strong for a week,no freeze or crash
    Try to repair windows,but i doubt that will fix it.

Find a win 10 and reinstall fresh everything.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. JD$

JD$ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    did you just have a standard win 10 then and upgraded to enterprise edition?

That's at least something to try, was hoping I wouldn't have to go that far but will look into it. Thanks!

4. cnnoi33

cnnoi33 Newbie

Reputations:
    this happened to me before. it stopped now though. probably windows related

5. JD$

JD$ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In case anyone else is having this problem, i ended up just doing a factory restore of my laptop and now everything seems to be working okay now for the moment. Usually specific games crash by now but haven't yet. So aside from the minor and irritating inconvenience, i have my fingers crossed at the moment!

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Please download HD Tune 5.60 or newer (or even that other crystal diskinfo program) and look under drive health and see if you have DMA errors on your mechanical hard drive.
    This is NOT the drive's fault.

Did any of you people who were having these freezes update to windows 10 Creator's update, from a version of windows 10 build before Creator's update? Were all of you using the Creator's update at this time?

Vasudev likes this.
  7. namaiki

namaiki "basically rocks" Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Does it lock up if you don't have your CPU undervolted?

8. JD$

JD$ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well the locking up started again, this time the same thing on a completely different game I hadn't played in a year or so.

@Falkentyne: This is just the Windows 10 Home edition that came standard with my Alienware 17R4. When I ran Alienware's support tools that checks the integrity of the system, everything came back a pass, even the HD.

@namaiki: it locks up whether it's undervolted or not. Undervolt doesn't really do much in terms of lowering my VID, even at as far as -.100. Much higher and it will blue screen in a very short period of time.

I'm still suspecting its a driver issue of some type. It only seems to crash during high end gaming. It has never crashed if I just casually browse the web, watch youtube or netflix.

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi, Yes I understand.
    But please run HD tune 5.60 like I said.
    *Were you using Windows creator's update when the crashes started*?

The alienware support tool isnt good enough.
    Just trust me for once?

Go to the mechanical HDD under smart info in HD Tune 5.60 (or newer) and tell me if it has any CRC DMA Errors, please.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Additionally, also perform disk check. Use this Command: chkdsk /f /x C:
    Note:
    Replace C with another letter to reflect your drive letter in Windows.

JD$ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.