AW 17 R1 Ranger 1070 upgrade FPS drops

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by illuzionX, May 11, 2018.

1. illuzionX

illuzionX Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

New to NBR but have been lurking for a while, and have just installed GTX 1070Euro, which looks to have installed fine, but I have an issue where my clocks seem to be dropping.

My Current specs are:
    Alienware 17 R1 Ranger
    4900MQ stock overclock @ 4.0ghz
    16gb ram
    1070 Euro on a 60hz screen (upgraded from a 780m)
    running on the A14 bios from Dell.
    240w power supply

As you can see from this screenshot (running 1080p on epic)
    https://media.discordapp.net/attach...38959038464/unknown.png?width=1016&height=572

I shouldn't be thermal throttling on either the CPU or GPU (unless someone can advise me otherwise)

and from this screenshot from GPUz:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/419510118363693066/444621258064396298/unknown.png

my PerfCap reason seems to be Pwr, but I also notice that my GPU voltage is 0.7620.

its interesting, because when the framedrops happen, the clocks drop, the perfcap reason is pwr and the voltage drops to 0.7620

but

when the fps goes back to normal for a couple of seconds at a time, the core clock goes to 1.4ghz, the perfcap reason changes to idle, and the voltage goes up to 0.8750

I am wondering if I had missed anything during my install that may be causing this? Or know what I can do to fix this?

2. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Speaking from experience a 240w psu is not enough power consistently to power your system. My system peaked at or around 230w under heavy usage. A 330watt psu is good security against power issues.

Striker1234 and Nomad like this.
  3. illuzionX

illuzionX Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi EepoSaurus,

Thanks for your reply,

What kind of system do you run? and to get a 330w PSU, is it as simple as buying the power brick? - plug and play? or do I need to run a custom bios or anything else?

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, it's as simple as getting a new powerbrick (sometimes). Just did some checking of overwatch and against my expoectations the game can actually stress out your hardware pretty hard. Considering your GTX 1070 in combination with your 4900MQ, you probably ahve both near 90%.

You can solve this by turning vSync on that way you won't get drops and game will seem more fluid despite being locked at 60FPS. When waiting for a new powerbrick.

5. illuzionX

illuzionX Newbie

Reputations:
    my 4900MQ was factory overclocked to boost at 4ghz, and wasn't hitting anywhere near 90%, even when the frames would spike upward.

Which power bricks are compatible with my laptop?

6. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just find a 330w power supply for an Alienware 18, I think the delta one is preferred.

However it may not solve your headache and woes, i did the same upgrade and had issues with performance with a 330w power supply, max fire strike score I got was 11,000~

Mine would randomly decide to spike to 1.050mv and blue screen stating the nvidia driver died, and not consistently or based on actual stress on the GPU.

But also my motherboard crapped out very recently, so maybe it was half dead to start and I had bad luck

7. illuzionX

illuzionX Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

luckily enough, I had ordered a 330w power supply and it arrived when I got home today. Initial testing doesn't look good. with very similar behaviour. I do note though, that when i check VDDC max, it registers as 1.000 V, but it usually hovers around 0.7810V.

Is there a way that I can get a lock on that 1.000V? What bios were you running?

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    From what I understand the eurocom 1070 is garbage. Just rebranded gecube cards with a vbios put on top.

What ever you do make sure you decide whether or not to keep it within 90 days as that's the window of the warranty.

9. illuzionX

illuzionX Newbie

Reputations:
    Any way to flash it to see if i can make it work?

I'm not sure if i can return it.

10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    If it doesnt work and its still under 90 days just get it sent back.