Avoid Sager products at all costs!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Boomsticks, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thundercast

Thundercast Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Couldn't help a chuckle at this. You're the one deciding to spend 4k on a laptop, this is clearly way more than the difference between on/off campus housing for 2 or 3 years, and I highly doubt most of the "rich" kids could afford that. Sorry; but while you may perfectly have the right to report a problem with your laptop, all I see here is hating (I mean your whole post is "DONT BUY SAGER THEY SUCK I HAD A GPU FAILURE SO SAGER ARE THE WORST COMPUTERS EVER". What will you say when you'll own a car and it'll eventually, just like any car, break down ? "Don't buy this brand they all fail !" ?). Sager only assembled your laptop, you're the one who choosed what would be inside, and given how many failures of these cards there are, no matter who the constructor is, you should complain about AMD gpus, not Sager, as this is about as relevant as accusing the guy who delivered the thing 1 year ago of having caused damage that would somewhat cause massive failures in the long term.
    PS to the guy who's saying AW are better : it's a matter of taste. I never liked the bulkiness, the price and the ostentatious look of the AW.

Edit :
    No, really, understand this : sager isn't a gpu manufacturer. The GPU in your laptop is made by AMD.

2. TheBlackIdentity

TheBlackIdentity Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So me knowing the fact that the 6970 and 6990 were prone to failure makes me an nvidia fanboy? I'm good with that. :D

Yup. The 6970m's and 6990m's were dying from their release while the only deaths I've seen on the 580m's were when their owners overvolted them.
    The premium you're paying for nvidia is for the added quality and better driver support.

3. kaltmond

kaltmond Clepple

Reputations:
    4000 $, that is 3000 € at the end of 2011, for a laptop, wowowo.......

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A slight correction, the core and the package is made by amd but the mxm pcb and everything else attached to it is made by or is the responsibility of clevo.

5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's because there is an EU directive which specifies that electronics should have a warranty of at least 2 years.
    There are very few EU countries that don't fully respect that directive, i.e. UK.

6. kaltmond

kaltmond Clepple

Reputations:
    UK also uses GBP not EUR, although it´s in EU....

7. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    Should have just gone with a P170HM with a single 6970M and you could have upgraded to a 7970M this year or 680M. And you could have easily afforded the 3 year maxed warranty with money left over still. You'd have enough to upgrade again this year to a 780M or 8990M.

Doesn't make sense to pay $4000 for a laptop when technology changes so rapidly unless you can afford to pay $4000 yearly.

As for Sager, sucks you had issues. GPUs fail all the time. Both nvidia and AMD have nearly 20/30% fail rate. Can't blame Sager for that. And you can't blame Sager for not taking the extended warranty.

8. TheBlackIdentity

TheBlackIdentity Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That might be true for AMD but not for Nvidia. It's incredibly rare that I see a post about any newer nvidia gpu's failing. When the owner overvolts it sure but that's not nvidias fault.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Sorry for your problems OP. That is not typical of Sager or Clevo notebooks. I've dealt with lemons like that before, though, just not a Sager or Clevo (it was an Alienware that was out for service more than in my possession).

I would call MC again, afaik it works for all MC across the board through MC not the bank, and not debit cads. I have a regular plain MC and it works with extended warranty no problem.

I know woulda shoulda coulda for warranties and what not, can't change that now. But I'd use this as a lesson learned and invest in the warranty in the future regardless of laptop you buy. Better to downgrade a component and get the extra warranty imho. That being said, you opted not to buy the extended warranty for whatever reason, that's your choice, but you also have to live with the consequences of not doing so. On the other hand if it is a common issue, then Clevo or AMD should fix it for minimal cost or free. But that's yet to be proven.

But with the issues you listed, you have cheaper alternatives to spending the money Sager is requesting for the repair. Especially when out of warranty using some self diagnosis will save you lots of money in the long run. You can also sell the unit as is and it would likely pay for a new Alienware M17x with 7970m or Sager NP9170/50 with 675mx. Both would be nearly as powerful as your NP7280.

And while I can sympathize with a poor college student, and buying things that are really kind of out of your price range, been there myself, $4000 for a laptop is outside of MOST people's price range. If I'm going to spend a lot of coin, I'm also going to make sure it's taken care of for however long I own it. It's like my car is out of warranty now, even though I had the choice to buy an extended warranty. I opted not to and I understand if it breaks down it's money out of my pocket. It's the risk you take.

10. m3n00b

m3n00b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll never spend more than an inflation adjusted $1500 on a lappy. I can afford to spend $4k on one but that's just preposterous to me.

...ttalk...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.