AVOID CYBERPOWERPC AT ALL COSTS!!!! chat conversation posted below

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Lynx2017, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't tell you how upset I am right now. I asked if I mailed in my old laptop if they could at least give me a discount on a new laptop... this was at the end of the chat not shown below. I airbrushed out my name for security reasons. Never again, never ever ever am I buying a laptop again. At least with a Desktop I have warranty for each part and can deal with different companies and am not out a crap ton of money if something dies :(

yes it requires a new thread. I am about to get banned from every website I frequent, I am posting this chat everywhere and Cyberpower PC can suck it. I OFFERED TO PAY FULL PRICE FOR MOTHERBOARD, THEY SAID NO STOCK AFTER 1 YEAR, so i tried asking for a discount since they sold me defective laptop but I didn't know it was defective i just figured all laptops run hot.... until repair guy here from forum notebook review told me Eurocom has a common problem with all models of mine with needing copper shunts and not shipping them proper, so I do have official word from an official repair person that this is all Eurocoms fault to begin with... btw ty for trying and all your help @woodzstack I do indeed appreciate you trying.

@Phoenix @Mari1225 @Papusan @Vasudev
    @Kittys @Galm @TheReciever @Maleko48 @RampantGorilla @Mobius 1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Vasudev, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I get that this sucks and I feel for you, but how is this Eurocom's fault? Eurocom supplies some things like the 16L13s and 780W psus on P870s to other companies, but they are not the Clevo supplier for most Clevo resellers. So I know for a fact the 16L13 is Eurocom/Cyberpowers but that's an MSI model. I'm not sure if Eurocom supplies CyberPowerPC otherwise. They very well may, but either way that would still ultimately be Clevos fault not Eurocoms for the shunts problem (although that's mostly mentioned with P7 and P8XX series machines not yours afaik). It's not like Eurocom designed the heatsinks.

Unfortunately that model did get replaced by the PA71HS quite a while ago. I'm not sure if anyone else would have stock left either. Part of the problem is the motherboard contains the cpu and gpu so it's a very very expensive part. It could easily cost you like 1000 dollars just for the board if you're buying it from someone.

A strange option (ironically from Eurocom) shows they may have stock on parts: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,368,0)CLEVO_P670RG_SAGER_NP8678

But you can see they're asking 1000 dollars for a new board. At that point it's really not worth it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Vasudev, Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  3. Lynx2017

Reputations:
    It is Eurocom's fault, it was overheating from the beginning and I just assumed it was due to well laptops do that kind of thing... so I didn't look into it much, and then I tried liquid metal, yeah my fault ok I get that part, but then the repair person who @woodzstack is Official repair person, told me that Eurocom was shipping many units, my model included with the heatsink not touching the cpu and gpu, and my laptop should never have been overheating to begin with, which is the only reason I tried the liquid metal to begin with. Woodzstack put on Shunts on the cpu and gpu before shipping it back to me and it did indeed fix the temps for the CPU... so if Eurocom had shipped it proper I would have never had to tinker in the manner I did in a desperate attempt to not have my games crash every two hours of gameplay.

:/

Vasudev, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  4. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Eurocom is just one of the few major suppliers... Its not that the model was faulty perse either the thing is foxconn heatsinks (or whoever is making them now) can be notoriously bad once in awhile and it seems you won that lottery hard :( usually can be resolved by requesting a new heatsink or sending it in for a new heatsink with better contact or swapping for thinner thermal pads depending on the situation. Its also BGA so basically...going by Sagers quote for a 6700/1060 motherboard at $1,002 you would probably be in the ballpark of $1,200 to get board swapped out of warranty from anyone with supply since it was LM damage (from what I understand) since you could have used kyronaut or any other non conductive TIM.

I killed my P670RP6-G with conductonaut so I know how it feels... selling it for parts and throwing that into a new laptop even if financed and giving yourself a little cheer up upgrade maybe would be best case thats what I did. (and how I ended up with big bertha P775)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    This is why you dont buy BGA without accepting this as a potential scenario.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why are you trying to buy a whole new motherboard? Motherboards can cost north of $1,000, since they are BGA and include the CPU, and if it isn't a MXM slot model, the GPU also.
    Better to just learn your lesson and buy a proper laptop from a decent reseller (like HIDevolution). Even if you get a BGA laptop from them, at least you're covered under their warranty and they test it to make sure it doesn't overheat and explode in your face too. Or you can man up and get a LGA version from them as well.

Laptops are mostly disposable junk, except for the premamodded LGA Clevos. Don't bother buying new motherboards for filth. the last laptop worth servicing before the Clevo DM/TM/KM series was the Alienware Ranger LGA laptop.

7. Galm

Reputations:
    I'd probably just recommend paying up for the longer warranty... I'm not even sure HID would be able to be super helpful in this exact scenario. If you're out of warranty and the board is like 1000+ dollars you still gotta pay.

Though note if the damage is from your own attempt at LMing (I'm not clear if that's the case) your warranty is still invalid unless it covers accidental damage.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. Lynx2017

Reputations:
    Aye, just frustrated. I just assumed a company I spent such a large amount of money with would at least give me like a special throw me a bone 10% discount on a new purchase if I mailed back the broken one, like I get it I guess. Just sucks and I am frustrated and angry.

I already have a GTX 1080 Ti in my hands I got new for $740. and i am getting a ryzen 2700x in two days when they come out, building me a desktop and never looking back and never touching liquid metal ever again, just sucks i lost so much money.

9. Galm

Reputations:
    FYI for future reference these types of posts probably belong in the Clevo reseller feedback forum section. This section is for advice request threads.

Lynx2017 and bloodhawk like this.
  10. Lucky3killer

Lucky3killer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Lynx2017,

Oh wow, you are deserved to have full sympathy from me about your issue with CyberPowerPC (CPP) and for many years, I was suspicious about CPP so that why I didn't buy computer from this seller, so I'm not sure that I could trust other resellers as well, but I do acknowledge that Dell offer out of warranty repairs, or you have to pay extra for warranty extension, however go thorough Dell Customer Service is just awful and you have to call the different level of support, also I heard some people got nicer, newer laptop like Alienware for free after huge battle with Dell's customer service. I do believe that you deserves to get a new faster laptop for free because CPP's customer service treated you badly, IMO.

You can try to file the complaint with BBB - https://www.bbb.org/losangelessilic.../cyberpowerpc-in-city-of-industry-ca-13080817
    ResellerRatings: https://www.resellerratings.com/store/CyberPower
    Trustpilot: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.cyberpowerpc.com

Your situation is one of major reason that why I'm very hesitate to buy laptops due to higher failure rate and expensive to repair than desktop, but toobad, I was without machine when I was traveling, beside iPad and iPhone, so for sure, laptop is nice for mobility and portable, but higher failure rate and too much headache to deal with customer service.

Please don't give to fight with CPP, so for last resort, if others fail so you could talk to lawyer and demand CPP to recoup the loss that you paid to CPP for defective laptop, so lawsuit is pretty rare because many people had great success to fight with customer service. I had great success when fought with Newegg, so finally, they issued full refund and give me 30% OFF coupon.

Like others said, it is recommended you to buy laptop with longer warranty.

Vasudev likes this.
  11. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What do you mean copper shunts?

12. Lynx2017

Reputations:

Lucky3killer likes this.