Avira vs. Avast

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by dannywanny, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    How many times are you booting up a day?

Besides the free version lacks some important key features that the free version of Avast already includes. I like to be fully protected. (Don't take that literally)

Maybe overall Avira is the better premium AV. But if I'm going to pay, then I would go Nod32 as it beats all.

2. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Around once. Maybe a few more if i'm installing software to test. But for me, who doesn't need email scanning, web scanning, and such. And just want a powerful antivirus to catch viruses already on my system. Antivir does an awesome job.

3. Omneus

Omneus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    - ATM Avira uses about 10 MB of Pagefile on my P4 2.8 ghz XP desktop (less than Avast)
    - if you read the pdf description of the testing on av-comparatives.org, they have a scannning speed test. Avira is among the fastest, and can scan about 50Gb in about 30 min on my desktop
    - Avira updates roughly once a day; Avast is probably more frequent
    - Avira as an AV is more accurate than Avast as far as most testing. Avira free detects the same as Avira Premium, however Premium also detects spyware/other malware in addition, and in this miscellaneous category Avast would probably be better.
    - Avira free has a popup whenever it updates or finds a threat but otherwise it doesn't popup
    - Avira doesn't usually have a slow startup (same as or faster than Avast) and has less services than Avast to start at once, so is potentially faster
    - well I find the UI easy to use ;)

Both Avast and Avira are good free products, and you are probably fine if you just pick the one you prefer. Most people would choose Avast over Avira, but more testing shows Avira being more accurate than Avast. In the security business, a surprising amount is simply preference.

4. dannywanny

dannywanny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help guys.

Yes I did use the Norton Removal Tool and then I used CCleaner to remove some of the odd bits of registry (there were loooads!).

I have an Acer 5920G, 2GB RAM and 2GHz Core2 Duo. Boot times are still really fast. I think I'm getting along with it better now - doesn't seem to be as bad as previous few days, so maybe it was just my internet having a problem.

I have no idea why Avira wouldn't update though (also Vista).

5. lokster

lokster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    avira. imo it has higher hits with scanning for a virus. avast didnt detect the recycler virus i had in one of my usbs. avira fixed that. mcafee fixed it too with my laptop. i highly suggest avira or mcafee. :D

6. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what's about avira antivir update problem, is it really a problem?

7. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've never had a problem with it. I'm not sure how he got it.

8. thnksfrthmmrs

thnksfrthmmrs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well the only "problem" that I can say about it is the pop up that comes up after every update. It takes up almost the entire screen on mine and tries to convince you to upgrade to the pro version. I must admit that some of the ads are quite funny lmao.

9. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    That sucks then, I hate nag screens. Like a Valley girl would say "That's so yesterday".

10. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's actually small on my system. But if you turn off auto-start then you won't get auto-update and the auto nag screen when it updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.