Avira vs. Avast

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by dannywanny, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    If your going to pay for an Anti-Virus, I'd go for Nod32 instead. Otherwise Avast better choice for free versions.

2. dannywanny

dannywanny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmmm... just going back to the 'On Access' or 'Resident' protection system with Avast ... there are shields such as Network, Web and Standard Shield. I'm noticing slower program loading and website loading - and when I look at the activity log for this resident protection system it seems to be scanning every single image on the website.

Now I'm really confused how Norton Internet Security 2007 could load programs and websites in a flash, even though it's meant to be such a resource hog, whereas Avast takes longer!?!

So should I leave this protection on? What do people think? Have they had any problems with it, such as slowing network connection down?

3. LIVEFRMNYC

Reputations:
    Personally Avast works without any lag at all for me on my machines which run 1GB or above. BTW .... What your specs? That could be part of the problem. I myself never ran Avast on anything under 1GB or below P4.

4. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    When i had avast installed (specs in sig) i noticed that my system was "lagging". Now that i have it uninstall-ed, my system is faster (back to normal).

5. ttupa

ttupa Tech Elitist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I switched from Avast to Avira due to the 6 months free Premium version. I had no issues with Avast, and still run it on another two machines. I like the interface of Avira versus Avast. For programs/internet loading, I found no issues with either one. I think Avira is a bit better on resources, but Avast has better features comparing free vs free. (I don't belive Avira free scans email, which I think is a necessity)

6. dannywanny

dannywanny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which other features are missing from Avira then? Avast surely has a smaller footprint than Norton though, so I must be better off compared to before!?

When I tried Avira, I simply couldn't update. It wouldn't seem to do anything when I clicked!

7. slickrick68

slickrick68 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having the same problem...just put Avira on my new Lenovo with vista and it wont update. I did a fresh OS and didnt put on norton but I dl'ed the tool to remove it anyway. I had Mcafee on here...not sure why it wont update.

8. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    I ran Avast on a P4 2.8 GHz with 512 mb RAM and Windows XP Pro for a couple years. Performance was ok... Avast did seem to slow things down slightly (compared to running with no AV software), but not all that much... I considered it tolerable.

What are your system specs, dannywanny?

9. LIVEFRMNYC

Reputations:
    I will admit to Avast slowing down boot up time a bit, but I can bare with 30sec of a unresponsive desktop right after boot. That's the only lag I have ever experienced from Avast.

10. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well i can't. I like how Antivir uses up barely any memory but it's working full time to protect me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.