AVIRA the best antivirus software?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by BNHabs, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    I had no issues whatsover installing Version 9! I uninstalled Version 8 with the help of RevoUninstaller (I really like RevoU) :D

You will find the install of Version 9 to be very easy! ;) All the updates were simple and easy! :D (Update/System Scan).

No issues with WinDef. at this time to report! :D

Cin ;) :)

2. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK. Thanks.

3. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Are you going to update tonight, yet?? :D

You should just try it and see! ;)

4. yuyi64

yuyi64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I saw the same posts on the Avira forums concerning some initial problems with version 9, so I'm leaning towards waiting a few days before updating hoping they'll work out those early bugs.

5. lineS of flight

Reputations:
    No..as I mentioned in an earlier post, I will wait for a few days! Maybe in that time you would have had problems with Ver.9 and Win Def and will update us all accordingly....:D

6. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Alrighty..actually..I'm going to also download it on my Mini 9 Netbook and see how it works on that too :D

And, I will update you on that also! ;) I have WinDef. on that too! ;)

7. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because I did a quick scan with it just for you. And it worked. WinDef seriously does nothing. Has never picked anything up for me. I'm sure WinDef will pick something major up, but I'm a safe user online. Plus if something bypasses me, I got Avira, SAS and MBAM backing me up.

8. lineS of flight

Reputations:
    Thanks. I appreciate the effort. Sooner or later, I will update to the new version - that's for sure!

9. cathy

cathy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mmm...can anyone tell me what's the best course of action that I should take when Avira encounters a virus? Quarantine? Rename? Delete? I know what all these do but I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

I tend to think 'Delete' would be the better option because I wouldn't want a harmful file sticking around in my computer.

10. lineS of flight

Reputations:
    I always use the 'delete' option. Though, I just looked it up...

"When my antivirus detects a virus it ask me if I want to quarantine, delete, or heal. I got a virus recently and I quarantined the virus is this good or bad?

You did the right thing. You should always “quarantine” or put it in the “vault” depending on which anti-virus program you use but it all works the same. So why not just delete the virus you ask? Good question. When a virus is quarantined it can not harm your computer. The reason why you do not want to remove a virus right away is because anti-virus programs sometimes give false positives results and mistakes can happen. I’ve heard a lot of stories where people were installing legit software or files on their computer and their anti-virus program detected it as a virus. So by quarantining a virus you can easily undo any mistakes that may happen.

Sometimes certain program files may be flagged as a virus. So before you delete any suspected virus you should always quarantine it for about a month or so just to be sure everything is still working good."

http://askabouttech.com/should-i-quarantine-virus/

See also: http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.