AVG, AVAST, or AVIRA

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by jd1010, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R4000

R4000 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm waiting for AVG 8 as well. Hopefully the new GUI and added features won't slow it down more in Vista...............

2. i5evoSwift3814

i5evoSwift3814 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the stupid question, but is AVG and Avira real time active scanners? Would it be okay to have two anti virus scanners, a on-demand and a real time one but only using the on-demand for manual scanning?

3. alynch75

alynch75 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what about McAfee antivirus.. if u have broadband (high speed internet from cable or even dsl) they usually give u antivirus from Mcafee for free. so what about Mcafee

4. jin07

jin07 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Didn't like McAfee myself. Check to see if they're giving just the software for free or the software AND the subscription. Know what, even if it was free, I still wouldn't use it over the free alternatives out there. Avira as my primary scanner and Avast as my active protection and secondary scanner gives me more than enough anti-virus protection.

5. alynch75

alynch75 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    does that mean Mcafee is a resource hog and its unsafe or is the mcafee safe they are giving u the software with a perpetual licenst whatever that means

6. bubbatex

bubbatex Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IMHO, McAfee is a resource hog. Whether it is safe or not is up for grabs. But in all of the independent tests I have seen posted in this forum and elsewhere, it typically is ranked low on the list - if it even makes the list. I had it for 4 years, it protected my laptop well, but man did it choke it! I am now using Avast! and Spyware Blaster and all seems to be working better.

7. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    So, I'm trying to decode all this jibberish.

I would like real-time protection, I'm NOT worried about RAM useage but I AM worried about CPU usage AND I protect my boot-time.

I just installed Avira (free). Do I need another solution for real-time protection?

Also, should I disable Windows Defender, if so, what should I replace it with?

Oh yes, and should I opt for Comodo instead of the normal firewall? (I do 90% of my browsing behind my wireless router)

Remember:
    I don't want anything to beef my boot-times and needlessly chew up my CPU

Thanks!

8. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Avira is fine for both real time and on-demand virus protection. Enable windows defender. It's a good real time spyware protection program. I would also recommend to get some secondary spyware scanners like Super antispyware or A-squared. If you are an average user Windows firewall would be just enough. I use eset online scanner just as a secondary malware scanner.

Anything more than your current setting will be beefing up your boot time.

9. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've had windows defender forever, and every time i scan, i get "Windows is running normally" i eventually disabled it, and every once in awile i turn it on and scan. its still never told me anything bad...i dont know if its because it just sucks or im doing a good job. lol...

10. KarenA

KarenA Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Disable Windows Defender and use SpywareTerminator. It has real time protection.
    My desktop is using Avira AntiVir + SpywareTerminator, it's pretty safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.