AVG, AVAST, or AVIRA

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by jd1010, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakpro

Jakpro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used it and I still am unable to get the Avira program to work. I installed Avast, but I removed it after trying it out. It is slow and sucks up too much memory.

I guess that I will revert back to AVG. I have not had any issues with it for the past 5 years.

2. Jakpro

Jakpro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After further research, I found this knowledge base article and installed the file and then installed it again.

Avira is now working perfectly!

The funny thing is that I have never had Norton on this machine, but somehow the applicable appdata entry was missing.

3. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information. I ran into the same trouble after running the norton removal tool and I reverted back to AVG. I don't like the intrusive nature of Avira.

4. procxi

procxi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. _radditz_

_radditz_ Fallen to the Sith...

Reputations:
    I've used AVG for 4 years now without a hitch. Its memory usage was ~7.5 MB after about an hour of browsing.

I installed Avast a few days ago and right now its memory usage is ~30MB which is very significant. I only installed the residant shield and nothing else (no email, network guff etc etc). It did pick up that file from spysherriff but i tested it on my brothers pc and AVG didnt flag up that install file as malware.

I also swicthed from Zonealarm to Comodo and it has been a pain in the arse! It uses ~2 MB more than ZA (13MB Comodo vs 11MB ZA) but seems a lot more fiddly. It didnt flag up svchost so it took ages for me to figure out why i couldnt connect to the internet. ZA flagged it up on install. I had to disbale Defence+ since i got message after message of god knows what and got sick of it.

So after changing from AVG/ZA to Avast/Comodo, I am not very happy!

6. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    as you know i'm using Avira ( free version). im thinking of getting ESET NOD32 Antivirus. As far as i know Nod32 is the best one, so is Nod worth to drop Avira and go for it?

7. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Avira Antivir is a very good anti-virus. I personally think that you shouldn't really worry about getting NOD32 unless you need better protection either because you feel paranoid or need your files safe no matter what. I went with it because i thought i should just get the best protection and be done with it.

8. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Calvin you made me unworried again. i just thought to go for nod, cos i found 3 troyans on my lappy, and supposed avira is not good at all cos of these troyans got in my system. but i haven't made a system scan for a period of 3 weeks, so this is more my fault.

9. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you don't have any active scanners and only have a manual scanner then you should expect to find stuff on your system. If you want active protection combined with one of the best anti-virus scanners then get NOD32. But if you're fine with just scanning and finding it after it gets on your system, use Avira Antivir.

10. OneRicardo

OneRicardo Newbie

Reputations:
    I read that AVG is about to release the AVG 8 but Free, in 31 March, i don't know if is true, but the AVG 8 is better than Avira ?

Avg 8 have new GUI, and others improvements.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.