AVG, AVAST, or AVIRA

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by jd1010, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  2. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The two links to the first review are dead and the last one needs citation. I'm deleting the links and the section all together. Stuff like this polutes wikipedia.

3. Woodgypsy

Woodgypsy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like Avast, because it has much nicer UI than other two - and it isn't very bloated after you turn off few functions. Plus, it did pick up some viruses (and false positives). I am bit tempted to try Comodo antivirus after seeing a friend running it though..

4. lokster

lokster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    avira is probably best out of the three. ive tested avg and avira on my recycler infected desktop. only avira was successful in cleaning it up, avg did nothing.

5. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    I've tried all three and Avast is the best for me. I don't mind that it takes the most resources out of the three, I have enough that I don't see any slow down besides a sec or two at boot up. It detection is great IMO.

Avira seemed good but the free version was too limited for my taste compared to the free versions of Avast & AVG.

6. jaxxx

jaxxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you guys delete or qurantine any malware u detect?

7. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it's an important system file, i'll quarantine it to see if i can get it cleaned. Otherwise, it gets deleted.

8. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried to unistall AVG free, but it won't uninstall fully. This forced me to do a system restore because the vista security center reported that AVG is on even after uninstalling. So I tried to install avira personal classic edition.

Avira is one of the slow pokes in antivirus that won't even update even when you force it to. I unstallled it in less than a day.

These are some of the problems you will encounter with any free antivirus program. Now I am thinking of trying Norton Antivirus 2008.

9. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear you had problems with Antivir.

10. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did Antivir update immediately after installation for you? For me it said "job started in the events page" and this continued forever. I can't any updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.