AVG, AVAST, or AVIRA

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by jd1010, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm curretnly using avg, and i've had it for quite some time. However, i'm thinking it uses up way too many resources. There is a ton of stuff on here and I don't really know what to make of it, so I figured I'd ask for help.

Currently, AVG is running 6 tasks in my processes, and it total to using about 20,000 K, whatever that means.

I was considering getting nod 32 or kapersky, but I don't want to pay yearly fees. If it was a one time fee for the program, i'd be all for it.

So, out of the free programs it seems AVG, AVAST, and AVIRA are the best free programs.

1) Which program out of the three provides the best protection and uses the least in resources?

2) Do the other 2 programs use more resources than AVG?

3) If i were to delete AVG, should i just do it by the add or remove program feature or is there some other way I should be deleting an anti-virus program?

Thanks for all your help!

2. 000111

000111 Atari Master

Reputations:
    1) depends on who you ask- but comparing avast and avg imho avg uses the least resources, while avast provides a little better protection.

2) don't know about avira, i think avast uses slightly more resources.

3) i use revo uninstaller to uninstall stuff. scans the registry for stray keys. but add/remove programs should work fine.

let me list my avast processes to help you compare;

........................mem usage...........VM size
    ashdisp.exe...........1,208..................2,376
    ashmaisv.exe...........692..................3,428
    ashserv.exe.........20,536................18,200
    ashwebsv.exe......14,616................17,716
    aswupdsv.exe..........204.....................452

only ashserv.exe and ashwebsv.exe have any CPU time, so the rest aren't used much, just sitting in memory.

does avg have a boot scan? the boot scan is one of the reasons i went with avast...

3. skywalker

skywalker Business Notebook FTW!!

Reputations:
    I have tried all of them and seem Avast make boot up time a bit longer.
    Avira is great among them and uses the least resources....my 2cents.

4. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I agree, but i'll divulge a little more. Antivir uses less resources than AVG or Avast, with Avast being the most resource intensive(hog). Antivir and Avast provide pretty much the same results and are better than AVG. Your best bet would be with using Antivir. Also, to uninstall AVG, just do it from add/remove.

5. jd1010

Reputations:
    thanks for the replies, here is another question i wanted to ask.

I've been reading reviews about windows defender and people says its not a terrible program. The strange thing is that i've never had windows defender locate spyware or anything else. I didn't even know it was running in the background until today, and when I checked the history of spyware it found, there was nothing on the list.

Is it common for windows defender to find no spyware on a computer that is about 7 months old? What is the use of the program if it doesn't find anything. I turned off the real-time protection and daily scan option...I didn't even know those options were enabled.

M

6. DDT5

DDT5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you considering free version Avira is defenately the best out of these 3. It uses less resources than any of these. But it's not very noticable. I have Celeron 2400 1gb DDR (!) system (thank God I`m getting new one soon :)) and i didn`t notice a big difference in terms of performance between AVG and Avira. If your PC is better, than mine, then there is no point of switching antivirus, unless you are not happy with yours. But according to reviews I`ve read Avira is the best free antivirus for now. I personally use NOD32 v3.0 atm, and very happy with it. Have been using NOD32 + agnitum firewall for about 4 years now and had no infection what so ever. Also didn`t have any false alerts. So, i would recommend NOD32, even tho you would have to pay for it. But 60 euro for 2 years is not that much to pay for your security I think.

P.S check this site out www.virusbtn.com one of the best sites about security. P.P.S Need free registration to read the reviews.

Oh...yeah...nearly forgot :) You just uninstall antivirus through Uninstall programms menu, like any other software.

7. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think windows defender is crapware but if you want to use it that's fine. I disabled it along with the default vista firewall a little while ago and my internet speed has been a lot faster.

8. kegobeer

kegobeer 1 hr late but moving fast

Reputations:
    Don't be put off by a yearly fee. I've been using NOD32 for over a year and it's the best antivirus application I've used. I'm very happy with it, and I highly recommend it.

9. DDT5

DDT5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but windows defender is one of the worst anti spyware software you can find. I think it was in PC Advisor's test where it scored 0 (!)

10. jd1010

Reputations:
    that's the score it deserves in my opinion, but I've been reading reviews that say it's decent.

By the way, I've uninstalled AVG and installed avira. It definately is using less resources. Thanks for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.