Avast or AVG?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Doodles, Aug 20, 2007.

?

Which free AV do you use?

1. Avast

61 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. AVG

59 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. other (plz specify)

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Algus

Algus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well Firewalls and Spyware sweepers should be your first line of defense. I've never had a virus on any of my systems either (though on the old 386s we used in my freshman programming class back in 99 we had the Ripper virus that someone had introduced :p)

If you keep your system secure and remain alert to what's out there then hopefully you won't ever get infected to begin with.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    Well, there is a computer inside my espresso machine (that is a DeLonghi Magnifica), but it is not my PC!

3. WhiteEightBall

WhiteEightBall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WELL....

I installed Avast on my system last night and guess what it finds.... nothing. amazing considering my current setup is running with $160 worth of Symantec gear. guuuhhh. :confused2: At least it's doing what it's suppose to, it just uses so many damn system resources that the ancient turd my system is right now acts even more ancient. I'm keeping what I paid for on there until it's term is up, then I'm switching to the free ish on that thing.

I can't wait to get my new system in. 1 more week....1....more....week...hopefully...:cry:

4. grateful

grateful Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the best option in my opinion is kaspersky, and a hardware firewall of some sort to have only the ports currently in use open (I use openbsd)....they arent hard to setup, but kaspersky is the best anti-virus imo if you even need it.

I dont allow browsers to save cache, it gets deleted before I close out a browser and I dont visit many questionable sites. I clean out my registry manually, and I let kaspersky catch everything else.

5. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Did you take Avast back off your machine? It is NEVER a good idea to run two antivirus apps at the same time!

Gary

6. WhiteEightBall

WhiteEightBall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most definately did. I've played that game enough to know having 2 antivirus apps that actually do their job is just going to screw something up along the way. I learned that the hard way when I ran with mcafee. uuugh what a headache.

7. System64

System64 Windows 7 x64

Reputations:
    Using avast! right now. It has 64bit support as i'm using 64bit Vista.

I hate the busy interfaces of any security suites, so i generally avoid them.

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i was using AVG but picked up lots of crap from using it. now I bought an OEM version of kaspersky and all is well. much better.

9. eyecon82

eyecon82 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I installed both and decided to stay with AVG; i noticed avast to be more resource hungry, especially at startup; and way too many options

avg updates everyday for me and i never even notice it running

10. scythie

scythie I died for your sins.

Reputations:
    AVG because my system is a bit old :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.