avast or avg legit?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by nhl770, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luee

luee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used AVG, but it proved slow, a resource hog, and intrusive. I now use Spyware Terminator. It is faster and does not simply start downloading updates without asking. I would be on line and AVG would simply start downloading a few times a day. Slowing down the unit and taking over the screen. It would not cancel. I have Adaware as back-up. Also the almost useless Windows defender.

2. R4000

R4000 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Are you referring to AVG Antivirus or AVG AntiSpyware?

3. Poseign

Poseign Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    haha i wondered the same when I read that.

Ive had AVG antivirus since ive owned my own computers and have never had any serious virus problems, as long as you let the updates update and run periodical scans like you should anyway. I personally dont see the point in blowing 60-80 bucks on anti virus software if you can get something that works just fine for free. Corporate servers would be the exception.

Ive never used avast so i couldnt honestly comment on that.

4. R4000

R4000 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agreed. I've used AVG Antivirus for years and have never had a problem with it handling a virus. Sadly, I can't say the same of my Norton experience.

Granted, AVG has had it's share of teething problems adapting to Vista, but I'm sure it will soon be smooth sailing as it has been on XP (especially considering the numerous amount of service updates AVG gets).

:)

5. luee

luee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anti-virus, It worked fine but I found that Spyware terminator is an improvement, less bloated and intrusive. I used them side by side for about 6 months. It also has a clam anti-virus application. From Cnet; Editor's review of Spyware Terminator
    This spyware scanner and removal tool simply does the job, but enabling some functions may cause slight slowdowns.

Spyware Terminator's crisp, clean interface uses simple buttons and tabs to operate and set options. The first measure of a spyware removal tool is the freshness of its spyware detection engine, and this application automatically downloads the latest spyware signatures. Novices will find Spyware Terminator easy to set and forget. Scans are easily scheduled; simply choose daily or weekly and a time. Real-time protection monitors key spyware types and Windows objects, though some testers report it causes slight system slowdowns.

Advanced users will appreciate Spyware Terminator's flexibility. Setting the sensitivity of various scans is as easy as moving a slider. Experienced users will want to enable an added function, Clam AntiVirus. The tool extends the power of real-time analysis by comparing program code against a database of known viruses, trojans, and worms.

Everyone from set-it-and-forget it users to those delving into virus code will find Spyware Terminator flexible, simple and effective, all key measures of a good spyware scan tool.

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Terminator/9499-8022_4-10689834.html

6. LFC

LFC Ex-NBR

Reputations:
    I used AVG Free for 4 years and then finally moved onto AVG a/v Pro+firewall. Total mem use = 34mb. Logical, unobtrusive and quietly gets on with it. I would hesitate free or paid for AVG with no hesitation

7. davidpg

davidpg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here...works great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.