Avast is ruining CCleaner -- malware, bundled software, popup ads... what's next?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Papusan, Jul 13, 2018.

?

Will you continue use CCLEANER?

1. YEES

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. NOPE

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Don't know yet

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    CCleaner update offers improved privacy controls, renames elements to stop users freaking out, adds bundleware-betanews.com

It’s fair to say, CCleaner has experienced a lot of problems since Avast acquired it last year. We’ve seen issues with malware, bundled software, and popup ads, and most recently the company was embroiled in a privacy controversy, which led to it pulling the last update.

It’s certainly a step in the right direction, but wait, what's this? Oh yes, the installer will attempt to force Avast Antivirus on you.
    [​IMG]

Have you seriously learned nothing Avast?[​IMG]

Piriform states that the company does not share personal data with third parties, but that it uses Google Analytics to analyze "some anonymous data". Double Puke[​IMG][​IMG]

Ashtrix, Tinderbox (UK) and Vasudev like this.
  2. Awhispersecho

Awhispersecho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks like maybe this might be safe to upgrade to and... I won't. I will stay right where I'm at for the time being.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    Block with firewall.

4. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes. With previous v. of CC, all very peaceful with CCleaner64.exe + CCUpdate.exe in firewall. Maybe more stuff to add in the latest version?

5. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like with Nvidia's telemetry, Autoruns64 stops CCleaner's autostarts. I'm making due with it until I hear the community settles on a replacement.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. Cirnozie

Cirnozie Newbie

Reputations:
    These kinds of cleaners are pointless. They only make it a little bit easier to clear bloat which is already possible through Windows tools, therefore making it useless.

Avast are a greedy, terrible company.

Vasudev and Aroc like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    CCleaner Is Silently Updating Users Who Turned Off Automatic Updates

Howtogeek.com | SEPTEMBER 17TH, 2018

[​IMG]

CCleaner is forcing updates on users who specifically opt out of automatic updates. Users will only find out about these unwanted updates when they check the version number.

The change was noticed by a forum user last week. The unwanted update happens in the background, without the users’ knowledge, and also results in Piriform gathering anonymized information about the user.

Earlier today I tried to say something nice about CCleaner, pointing out that a public beta could help users catch sketchy stuff before release. That was overly optimistic of me.

I know a lot of you love CCleaner. I used to too. In the late 2000s CCleaner was a fantastic free program from an indie developer who cared about building trust with geeks. Avast bought that company and is hoping to coast on nostalgic goodwill. Don’t let them. Crap like this isn’t okay, and a program originally called Crap Cleaner shouldn’t be pulling it.

Woodking, Vasudev, Aroc and 1 other person like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its the task created by ccleaner in task scheduler to cause auto update and I removed it. So, no update nagware.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter... Avast push Malware or shall we say virus?:rolleyes: I will never ever touch Avast! They have gone all too far with this scam.

Ultra Male and Vasudev like this.
  10. Wolfzz

Wolfzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's it for me with the latest CCleaner Slim v5.47.6701 cant turn off (Help Improve CCleaner by sending anonymous usage data) the tick keeps coming back even when i have blocked it with Inbound and Outbound Rules through my firewall. arrh