Avast is ruining CCleaner -- malware, bundled software, popup ads... what's next?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Papusan, Jul 13, 2018.

?

Will you continue use CCLEANER?

1. YEES

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. NOPE

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Don't know yet

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I want to chime in, I remember this CCleaner since 2.x version from Win7 and then they upgraded the UI to 5.x after the Win10 abomination happened, Later on Android the Cheetah mobile ruined the Cleanmaster which used to work perfectly, Cheetah mobile is an epidemic. Later Avast buys out CCleaner. I tried out CCleaner on Android and it used to work flawlessly. Very neat, no ads nothing. Perfect.

Later Avast ruined it to hell. It's basically an ad infestation engine now, ultra bloatware. Useless. I used that with Xposed mod which blocks in app ads but man this CCleaner became malware. It doesn't clean properly and added tons of steps to get the same results like previously 1 step 1 button. To some 5 steps+ and popup etc. Now Win32 is destroyed, I held to 4.x for a long time and moved to 5.x shouldn't have done, now this bites dust. On the other note. Times from India bought MXPlayer. The perfect player on Android which most has codecs and superb playback without waits or hiccups and HW acceleration and gestures etc. Now it's worthless junk, They started IAP + Premium with bloatware and destroyed it. Download and keep the last best one, But Google is hellbent on gimping Android so better use VLC from now on.

As mentioned above these new cheap idiots wanting to siphon off the private user data and their patterns and ask premium on top of it, the Industry is ruined with "AaS" models. Windows, Gaming, and now slowly hardware's turn will come. Unfortunate trends everywhere. Lack of choices and forcing us to walled gardens. Enjoy while it last guys, that's all I can say.

Mr. Fox, 6730b, steberg and 4 others like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I dumped CCleaner,CM Lite, RAM cleaner etc.. for L speed optimiser, Files Go by gogle and SD maid.

Aroc likes this.
  3. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I suppose for those complaining that an all-in-one tool for the non computer geek or the lazy as an alternative to CCleaner doesn't exist, can't you just hold your nose, have your loved one (or you) install the program, run it, then promptly uninstall it?

For me, the common use case I see (cleaning old files, cruft) it looks like BleachBit does this, and they have a little pledge were they promise to stay malware free.

But truthfully, as @Vasudev hinted at, most of these people have been migrating away from PCs (complex, administrative overhead, difficult to reload OS & restore data) to Android devices (simple, easy to manage, understood factory reset & data restore processes) for just reasons like this. So perhaps the market is reacting rationally considering their needs, time, and skill level?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    None should support companies who offer malware. What will come next if you let them take your fingers? I will tell you... They will rip off the the whole hand. Bad advice. Very bad!

Same for hardware as f.eks many notebooks. If you accept trash and pay for it... More of the same will be thrown out. You can’t stop it this way. Only boycott will help.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Woodking, Vasudev, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  5. Awhispersecho

Awhispersecho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure running and installing it is easy for some. For others such as my father, he won't be bothered doing that each time nor should he have to. Saying that is an acceptable alternative is absurd.

As far as people migrating away from PC's, frankly I'm getting sick of hearing that. Maybe the 40 and under generation is, but for my neighbors, my parents, and every other general user I know, not 1 of them has moved away from their PC. They have their phones and some of them have tablets and they use them to play a game or check something quickly. But most of these people are older, not tech savvy and stuck in their ways. They are used to the PC and that's what they still use.

As far as saying we are complaining and calling people lazy. So because people don't want to have to install and uninstall a program every time they want to use it that makes them lazy? Seriously? The point is that no software should be making changes to other software on our PC's. No software should continue to monitor our usage when they have given us the option to turn it off only to disregard the fact that we chose that option.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I am a PC user and rarely use my phone unless, I'm traveling.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Awhispersecho likes this.
  7. Wolfzz

Wolfzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Look what's just come out beware........
    CCleaner 5.46.6652

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    It has an option to turn off telemetry now

[​IMG]

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/version-history

Version History

v5.46.6652 (30 Aug 2018)
    Privacy Settings
    - Added a separate control for the reporting of anonymous usage data
    - Added a link to a Data Factsheet (https://www.ccleaner.com/about/data-factsheet), which explains the data reported from CCleaner, why it’s reported, and what it’s used for

Smart Cleaning
    - Renamed the ‘Monitoring’ feature to ‘Smart Cleaning’, to better describe its function (intelligent cleaning alerts)
    - Reworded checkboxes for clarity
    - If Smart Cleaning is disabled, CCleaner’s background process will close and the feature will not run on startup

General
    - Restored previous System Tray and minimize behavior
    - Fixed various stability issues

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I am using an old portable version v5.41.6446 for as long as it remains effective or ccleaner is given the all clear.

John.

Awhispersecho and Vasudev like this.