Avast is ruining CCleaner -- malware, bundled software, popup ads... what's next?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Papusan, Jul 13, 2018.

?

Will you continue use CCLEANER?

1. YEES

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. NOPE

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. Don't know yet

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Warning: DO NOT install the latest version of CCleaner-betanews.com

A month ago, I wrote about how I felt Avast was ruining CCleaner, the excellent system cleaning software it took over when it acquired Piriform last year.

In Avast's short tenure, we've already seen CCleaner suffer from malware, bundled software, and pop-up ads. In my article headline I asked "what’s next?" Well, with a new version of CCleaner available to download, we now have the answer. Inevitably, it's not good.

In a forum post, Avast addresses the unwelcome changes stating:

upload_2018-8-2_5-55-33.png

Avast is clearly in no hurry to fix these issues, and given its past behavior this probably won’t be the last time we have to warn users off installing or upgrading the software. Do you still use CCleaner or has Avast's management put you off it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont install or upgrade to CCleaner 5.45-Ghacks.net

Closing Words
    CCleaner was a program that worked fine out of the box for years but that is not really the case anymore. While the cleaning works as good as it did years ago, recent decisions to push the monitoring functionality, introduce advertising popups for pro upgrades, hack, and analytics/privacy controversy have painted the program and the company in a bad light.

The battle to win back user trust is an uphill one. If you ask me, Piriform needs to implement clear and functional opt-out options (better opt-in but that won't be happening) and reveal exactly what data it collects and how that data is stored, shared and processed.

Vasudev, Aroc and Woodking like this.
  2. Awhispersecho

Awhispersecho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've used CCleaner for as long as I can remember. Loved it and used it to work on other people's computers as well. The inability to stop it from running regardless of the settings you choose along with the data collecting is unacceptable. So what is the best or some of the best alternatives available to use. I've I stalled this on a lot of others machines who aren't very tech savvy and now feel I should install something different on the ones I can get to. Very disappointing, it was a great tool and started going downhill a year or so ago.

Woodking likes this.
  3. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Couldn't agree more. Im uninstalling from all mine and the machines I look after, and also getting a better alternative to Avast AV now as I dont trust them anymore. Totally fed up of stuff trying to make money out of me especially when I paid for it already. When will these idiots learn?

All the good stuff is getting bought up by greedy bar stewards trying to squeeze that extra bit of juice out of us all. I hate the way this is going.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Awhispersecho and Vasudev like this.
  4. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depends on the use case and what needs to be cleaned up. Here are my suggestions:
    • For clearing temp files, etc.: BleachBit
    • For cleaning out .NET Framework : MSFT .NET Framework Repair Tool, .NET Framework Cleanup Tool
      (link: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/08/28/net-framework-cleanup-tool-users-guide/ )

(like you did the security updates for .NET Framework, and you wish to revert, cleanly -- or wish to uninstall and return to a prior major version, cleanly -- or maybe your MS Office or other .NET Framework dependent program is crashing or running terribly).
    • For cleaning up uninstalled programs: Revo Uninstaller.
    Revo is sort of new to me, so it may not be a best in breed tool for this. I also have no affiliation and not financial interests in any of these tools. None of these are a replacement for good tested backups or a complete OS reinstall.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Here’s What You Should Use Instead of CCleaner-Howtogeek.com
    [​IMG]

CCleaner just became worse. The popular system-cleaning tool now always runs in the background, nagging you and reporting anonymous data back to the company’s servers. We don’t recommend you upgrade to CCleaner 5.45. Here’s what you should use instead.

We haven’t been huge fans of CCleaner for a while now. CCleaner nags you to run it because the paid subscription can automatically run itself—you’re paying to disable the nags. CCleaner has even been hacked to contain malware.

6. Awhispersecho

Awhispersecho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is a perfect example of the issue. For someone such as my neighbor or father or hell, even me when I'm lazy, CCleaner was a good all in 1 utility for this stuff. There is no way in the world I could expect them to use multiple tools and jump through hoops to get the same things accomplished that they did with CCleaner. I would be getting calls all day and night from them asking me what they need to do. A utility comparable to CCleaner is still needed for the majority of people.

The real crappy part of this is that I went over a year without updating to a new version. I just always used the old version I had installed on all my PC's. Never had an issue. Then all of a sudden, my dumb a** decided to get with the times and update it on each machine and now it sucks. I still have a few old installers if I want to keep using it without the Malware. Revo is good tho. I've used it occasionally for years now.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  7. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Glay Utility`s has a free cleaner "Glary Tracks Eraser" it`s the free not paid version, also a number of other free apps, warning untick bloatware during install.

If it`s any good i don't know.

Scroll to bottom of the screen for the free app links.

https://www.glarysoft.com/

[​IMG]

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  8. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I still use CCleaner but not the latest model ccsetup532 v5.32.6129 because after that the malware infected a later version and since that time I stopped it from asking to update and so far it has worked fine. Also Avast should be flushed down if it is breaking other software-no A/V should be doing virus and malware fixes not breaking software unless the software is malware infected to scan for it.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    CCleaner 5.45 removed
    Posted on August 3rd, 2018 at 22:17 Kirsty Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    A couple of days ago, Martin Brinkmann (on ghacks.net) wrote:

Don’t install or upgrade to CCleaner 5.45

Piriform/Avast released CCleaner 5.45 recently to the public that Windows users may not want to install or upgrade to.

Today, Lawrence Abrams (on bleepingcomputer.com) wrote:

CCleaner v5.45 Pulled Due to Anger Over Usage Data Collection

It has not been a good week for Piriform’s PC cleaning tool CCleaner. With the release of CCleaner version 5.45, it was quickly discovered that the program’s “Active Monitoring” component, which is utilized to send anonymous usage data back to Piriform, could no longer be disabled.
    First discovered by Ghacks.net, users of version 5.45 discovered that unlike previous versions there was no privacy setting that allowed you to disable the sending of anonymous usage information to Piriform.

This was discussed here on Piriform CCleaner & Speccy

Now, feedback has resulted in changes, as noted on piriform.com today:

Today we have removed v5.45 and reverted to v5.44 as the main download for CCleaner while we work on a new version with several key improvements. You can grab version 5.44 from one of the links [below]:

(You can find those download links here)

It’s nice to know that feedback can make a difference, while they go back to their drawing boards, trying to keep their customers happier.

OtherCCleaner, feedback, Piriform

------------------------------------------

Avast pulls the latest version of CCleaner following privacy controversy-betanews.comy

[​IMG]

Piriform rolled out updates for CCleaner on a monthly basis, and this is something that has continued since Avast took over. The latest update, CCleaner 5.45, wasn’t at all well received due to a number of changes affecting privacy, and the company’s response to the matter proved to be unsatisfactory -- to say the least.

Now it seems that Avast has seen the light, and pulled the latest update. The current version available is 5.44. On its forums the company had this to say:

Continue reading →

@Phoenix @Mr. Fox +++ all not mentioned but not forgotten.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I use old CCleaner 5.43,BB,wise disk cleaner(Avoid advanced cleaner)