Avast is ruining CCleaner -- malware, bundled software, popup ads... what's next?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Papusan, Jul 13, 2018.

?

Will you continue use CCLEANER?

1. YEES

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. NOPE

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Don't know yet

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Need "seeker" aka guinea pig. Avast have released CCleaner v5.74.8134 (11, Nov 2020)

This version comes jam-packed full of exciting improvements for all our users!

Cleaning
    • This release contains an essential session cleaning compatibility update for Chromium browsers such as CCleaner Browser, Google Chrome, Edge, Brave, Opera, Opera GX, Avast Secure Browser and Vivaldi.
    Automatic Updates
    • Updates to CCleaner will now be applied automatically in CCleaner Free.
    • You can review your Update Preferences in the ‘Options’ → ‘Updates’ menu.
    • If automatic updates are enabled, CCleaner will run in the background and check for them twice daily (if you run CCleaner it will always check for an update first).
    Update Preferences
    • We have simplified the ‘Options’ → ‘Updates’ menu down to two settings: one for controlling automatic updates and another for controlling update notifications.
    CCleaner Professional
    • If your license has expired, we will occasionally show you a reminder when you run CCleaner.
    General
    • We fixed a bug where text in warning message boxes was highlighted.

Please report if you see something nasty running in the background pushed from Avast Malware Group. Hence the need for guinea pig:D Thanks.

Spartan@HIDevolution and Vasudev like this.
  2. 6730b

6730b Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^^ Have been using some of the recent versions without problems of any sort. Using firewall rules to stop whatever they may want to harvest (at the low cost of a 5 seconds wait before CC is ready, as it tries and fails to connect to base). Will try the latest version, am not expecting anything special, will report if so.

3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Need "seeker" aka guinea pig. Avast have released CCleaner v5.74.8198 (11, Nov 2020)

Note, this version received a small patch update (v5.74.8198) to fix a settings bug. This patch update will be applied automatically unless automatic updates have been disabled.

This version comes jam-packed full of exciting improvements for all our users!

Cleaning
    • This release contains an essential session cleaning compatibility update for Chromium browsers such as CCleaner Browser, Google Chrome, Edge, Brave, Opera, Opera GX, Avast Secure Browser and Vivaldi.
    Automatic Updates
    • Updates to CCleaner will now be applied automatically in CCleaner Free.
    • You can review your Update Preferences in the ‘Options’ → ‘Updates’ menu.
    • If automatic updates are enabled, CCleaner will run in the background and check for them twice daily (if you run CCleaner it will always check for an update first).
    Update Preferences
    • We have simplified the ‘Options’ → ‘Updates’ menu down to two settings: one for controlling automatic updates and another for controlling update notifications.
    CCleaner Professional
    • If your license has expired, we will occasionally show you a reminder when you run CCleaner.
    General
    • We fixed a bug where text in warning message boxes was highlighted.

Please report if you see something nasty running in the background pushed from Avast Malware Group. Hence the need for guinea pig:D Thanks.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. 6730b

6730b Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^^ All seems well after a few days use on w8.1 & w10, am trusting it to do it's good job, as usual. Time until ready (due to firewall blocking the phonehomes) is now nearly 15 sec. Accepted & no problem. Also a scheduled task to delete.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_portable.html
    Need "seeker" aka guinea pig. Avast have released CCleaner v5.75.8238 (10, Dec 2020)

This version includes improvements to cleaning, stability, and usability

Cleaning
    • The ‘Cookies to Keep’ list can now import any text file (‘Options’ → ‘Updates’)
    • Chrome Beta cleaning has been restored
    General
    • We fixed a silent crash when closing CCleaner
    • We’ve made it clearer how Smart Cleaning settings interact with each other
    • We’ve added a note to explain that Smart Cleaning uses the Custom Clean settings
    • We’ve improved the wording of ‘Run CCleaner at startup’ to ‘Launch CC app windows each time the computer starts’
    • The language list now lists languages in their native tongue (‘Options’ → ‘Settings’ )
    • We’ve fixed some text translations throughout the app

6. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Need "seeker" aka guinea pig. Avast have released CCleaner v5.77.8448 (18, Feb 2021)

This version includes improvements to cleaning and improved visual design for product updates.

Note: We want everyone to enjoy using the latest and safest version of CCleaner, including people who may not have updated in some time. In the coming days and weeks, we will continue to bring customers on very old versions up to date so they can clean their machines safely. (Find out more)

Cleaning
    • Added Download History cleaning for Avast Secure Browser
    Updates
    • Updated the visual design of the product update sequence
    • Fixed a bug where the system tray icon was displaying when it shouldn’t
    • Fixed a rare bug where Update Notifications would be shown when they shouldn’t
    General
    • Improved support for screen readers in the purchase flow
    • Fixed a bug where the license information could be reset and lost

inm8#2 likes this.
  8. Rowan

Rowan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is the first time I've had issues with an update in a few years besides those annoying popup notices that were around for awhile. I updated, all the usual things I had checked were correct so I proceeded. It took a bit longer than usual and found out why after it was done. Even though I had the cookie box unchecked for all the browsers I have installed Ccleaner ignored all of that and deleted all my cookies anyway. I use Twitch and all of my FrankerFaceZ settings got zapped too but I backup my profile so I was able to restore those.

Papusan likes this.
  9. 6730b

6730b Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    v5.77.8448 behaves very ok here (so far). Using firewall entries to stop the unwanted net activity, and one is left with the very good cleaning functions. CC never ever f****d up anything on my systems, even after what is surely 1000's of 'cleans' since the beginning of times.

About the registry cleaning which have been negatively commented upon, imo not that important to use it at all, and if used simply first turn on common sense + use the .reg backup function, then I cannot see any possibility of trouble.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Need "seeker" aka guinea pig. Avast have released CCleaner v5.77.8521 (04 March 2021)

This version resolves a crash when cycling quickly through the Options menu. We will roll out this change to everyone over the coming days.

Stability
    • CCleaner no longer becomes unresponsive when cycling quickly through the Options menu

Vasudev and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.