Autotransmission gear question

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Phillip, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I have to lock out overdrive (or d4) on highway entrance ramps. The taurus shifts into overdrive between 35 and 45 mph, thus causing it to stand on its nose and then it will hunt a few times.

Automatic transmissions ftl.

2. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    That is why alot of 90s and newer cars have an overdrive overide button.

Agreed. Shifting a standard auto setup ( P R N D 3 2 1 ) like a manual is not what it was designed for. If you do not have a electronic shift system then put it in drive and turn O/D off or use the proper selection for the job. Shifting while driving is not the way to go, and completely contradicts the idea of a TCM (transmission control module).

As for gear hunting the O/D switch or using the proper selection will remedy this.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I mean when you press the accelerator down, the engine revs up, buring more fuel, but you don't increase or remain the same speed, so the car will down shift giving you the power you need. Yes, this happens to me all the time, but I drive in the rocky mountains.

I used to drive 300 miles a day, now I do it weekly, its the same trip, both directions. But even if you still don't believe me, doesn't change my findings or the fact that I'm being honest.

4. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Syndrome, how do you like the toyota matrix? I drive the same car at least once a week (my girlfriend's pontiac vibe) and it really irritates me sometimes. All the paint on the radio buttons has rubbed off in the past year, the safety warning lights never stop going off, the steering is pretty rubbery, and of course it in an automatic. At least it gets good gas mileage.

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I've put an aftermarket head unit in it, and I took the safty lights out of the dash board. The steering doesn't seem to bad, but it certainly isn't the tightest I've had. ;) It does get good mileage, but like I said, you can't let that transmission handle itself, and I never use the cruise control, between those two then its horribly unbearable.

But its been a pretty nice little car, its nearing up to 230k miles, single transmission, two motors. The first motor would have been fine, had it not gone over 30k miles without an oil change(wasn't me, promise).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.