1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Auto set games to high priority?

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by deadboy90, Oct 15, 2011.

1. deadboy90

deadboy90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have recently taken to setting my games to high priority in task manager, (it helps with the witcher 2 and I think with bc2 also) but I'm kind of sick of doing it manually every time I open a game, its annoying and can even sometimes crash the game by alt tabbing out all the time. Is there a way to have my games to auto set to high priority?

2. azn4lif3s

azn4lif3s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't set it to high since it dedicates your CPU power more to the game, above normal should suffice and using programs like advanced system care and game booster should be more then enough. Setting it on high will create system instability which you have experienced and to answer your question I don't think there is a way

3. Radam

Radam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    you can create a shortcut to the game and use something like:

start /high "C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steam.exe"

Just replace C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steam.exe with the path to your game executable.

4. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I assume you're trying to do this to squeeze out extra gaming performance. You could do this, but I think this is a waste of time.

1) Almost all games are GPU-limited, not CPU-limited. This general rule about being GPU-limited applies to The Witcher 2 and Bad Company 2. Increasing the amount of CPU power will not increase game performance, since the CPU isn't the bottleneck.

2) A modern CPU is more than capable of handling whatever background tasks that happen while you're running a game. And if it isn't capable of handling your background tasks, then the better solution is to eliminate those background tasks... not force your CPU to re-prioritize its workload.

5. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    The R1 does have CPU bottleneck problems in BFBC2. I had good results increasing CPU clockspeed and task priority on my R1 for BC2. Here are some results before increasing priority and after.