Auto car Insurance, online?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by nodeffect, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodeffect

nodeffect Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys, do you think buying auto insurance online is a good idea? I found out that the price online is like usd10 cheaper than going tru an agent. Why is it?

And one more question, I need to renew my car tag, if I buy insurance online, would I able to get the insurance on the spot and renew my car tag after I buy it online?

Please help. This is my first time buying a car and getting all these things.

2. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, for $10 i'd say its not a big deal either way, what ever you are comfortable with.

I got mine online, but that was with Geico

3. nodeffect

Reputations:
    thats cool, but I need to renew my tag, can I get the insurance online and use that to renew my tag? what do I get if I get it online, will they provide me a form to print and give it to the Tag agency?

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Most online agencies will give you a proof of insurance to print out immediately. At least the handful of online insurance agencies I've dealt with over the years. (Geico, Esurance, AAA, Citizens)

5. 1ceBlu3

1ceBlu3 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    we're through progressive! lovin it.
    but like aan310 said.. go with what is comfortable for you

6. nodeffect

Reputations:
    yea, I try to apply progressive online but there's one part I could not fill out, its about the Lease and Loan thing, it's asking me which bank i'm using for the lease/loan? But I buy that car through my friend, how do i fill that?

7. 1ceBlu3

1ceBlu3 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    mmm..tried looking for that..not sure.you could always do it over the phone..i'm sure then someone could make changes for it..
    sorry couldn't be more help....or you could contact customer service..

8. nodeffect

Reputations:
    Thanks alot ;)
    I think I'll just give them a call.

9. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm sure you've already purchased coverage, but I thought I'd at least answer the first part of your question (about the price difference). Many insurers (Progressive, Geico, Unitrin, et al.) are sold by independent insurance agents who sell policies for numerous companies. These agents must be paid a commission for any policies they write. Buying online eliminates the agent (and the commission) and allows you to buy the product (insurance coverage) directly from the provider!

Usually the difference is quite a bit more than the $10 you mention. When I was shopping for a new policy back in March ('06 Mazda3 and '07 Honda Accord, two 30-something drivers, one speeding ticket between us), the difference was at least $120 more to go thru an agent (for the same company) and the worst was more than $300 more going thru an agent! Luckily, my cousin is also an agent and she worked her magic, waived her commission and got me coverage for about $600 less than any of the quotes I got! :D

10. nodeffect

Reputations:
    lol, thats nice...
    anyways, I got it for usd222 6 months. State Farm....

I had another trouble now, I can't renew my car tag !.... my friend who sold his car to me has to be at the tag agency in order to transfer the car to me.... thats very frustrating... do you guys think I can drive without my tag renewed ? I was hoping my friend could come back and settle this, he went to other states.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.