Auto 4 gears vs Manual 5 gears

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by notyou, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Anything that is in tow/haul mode will shifter harder. Because if you don't then you will destroy your transmission. Even in the big towing trucks(dodge ram 3500) when you put it in tow/haul you get a much much harder shift pattern. And it also downshifts much sooner.

2. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The tow/haul mode increases the line pressure and raises the shift point to a higher rpm. The increased line pressure reduces slippage during shifts at the expense of buttery smooth shift quality. :D

3. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In some trucks, tapping the brake pedal will activate 'tow/haul' mode if you're on a downhill grade. Rather than overheat the brakes, the transmission uses the engine to maintain the same speed going downhill (engine braking).

4. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    A pseudo shift kit! But I doubt that anyone would be towing large loads with the 4.8

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, with the 07.5+ dodge cummins 6 speed auto you have a turbo brake(acts the same as a jake brake) and when you tap the brakes in tow/haul it down shifts. You can also select the highest gear it will shift into. But, it still shifts much harder, both up and down.

6. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    In my dads diesel F250, when in tow haul mode, 3500rpm was like 10mph.
    It works well for going downhill, but I have a feeling it isnt too good for the engine. On numerous occasions, the momentum of the vehicle would push the engine past 3000rpm, which isnt exactly good for it.
    It may be one of the reasons why its not running right now :(
    The ford dealer says that pushing 2500rpm blows head gaskets, and may cause the engine heads to warp. Not a good thing, especially when its running, it will burn a quart of coolant an hour. I sure wish international stuck with the 7.3idi, it was a much better engine than the 6.0

K-TRON

7. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    haha, drop the engine or pull the cab to replaces the head gasket.. Should have gotten a cummins. :D

8. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    I wish, if the mega cab had a usable 8ft bed and a real transmission, it would be perfect. There arent many trucks out there with the crew cab and the 8ft bed. We looked at the 7.3 powered F350 and the 6.9L F350, but both were too overpriced. We got the 6.0, and it was okay, but now it seems like powerstroke hell is setting in :(

K-TRON

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    You can get a 8ft put on the mega for relatively cheap. And honestly, I've been VERY impressed with the 6speed auto from dodge. I've put mine though abuse from playing and pulling, and I just did the first fluid change at 50k and its clean as a whistle in there. Note that I'm also putting down a good 150hp more than stock. And really, if you wanted a nice tranny why not go with the alison? its obviously the best one out of the 3.

10. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Speaking of Diesels blowing head gaskits ... I had a duramax blow a headgaskit infront of me the other day. The driver was trying to hotrod his truck up the hill with a full load. Headgaskit let go and there was white smoke (steam), blue smoke and black smoke coming out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.