Auto 4 gears vs Manual 5 gears

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by notyou, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    I do love my 4 speed auto in my highander. Compared to the newer 6sp autos in the Camry's, its a friggin rocket. It takes a full 3 seconds for the camry to downshift when I put my foot down on the gas. I don't like that at all.

2. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thats untrue, the IS F is selling extremely well. The performance is also very close to both the M3 and C63. Of course id take the C63 out of these 3, but still

3. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    M3 is far superior to the C63 or the IS-F in terms of speed in cornering and handling, C63 is better for drifting due to the massive torque it produces. IS-F is slightly cheaper than the M3 and C63, but not sure the resale value is as good. For that sort of money, i think the Skyline GTR R35 is better.

4. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ^^ Its a lexus of course the resale will be good.

Also the M3 is in no way faster then the C63, though it IS a better handler for sure. All that torque makes C63 hard to control while turning at high speed.

5. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I love manuals because I believe they are fuel efficient and fun to ride.

6. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Actually, the torque curve of the Subie 2.5L Turbo compensates for the outdated 4-speed automatic surprisingly well. It's on the non-turbo models with the 170hp version of the 2.5L that the lack of a 5- or 6-speed automatic is more of a handicap. For 2010, the non-turbo Legacy 2.5L models have a CVT instead of the 4-speed. But the Impreza and Forester still have the 4-speed. Hopefully the CVT will make its way into those models soon.

Most non-US automakers traditionally have purchased automatic transmissions from an outside source, rather than developing and manufacturing their own. Toyotas typically have ones made by Aisin, many German makes/models have ones from ZF and, oddly enough, BMW even purchases transmissions from GM for their 1-Series, 3-Series and X3 SUV. The unit that BMW buys (GM- 6L45) is based on the 6L50 used in the Cadillac CTS/STS/SRX.

The same Aisin 5-speed automatic unit was used in the following models-
    2004- Chevrolet Equinox
    2004-2006- Nissan Altima, Maxima, Quest
    2004- Saturn Ion
    2002-2003- Saturn Vue V6
    2003-2007- Saab 9-3
    2001-2005- Volvo S60
    2003-2005- Volvo XC90 2.5T
    2001-2007 Renault Laguna V6 & 2.2DCi (outside U.S.)

But Honda, being the rebel the engineering rebels that they are, has always manufactured its own automatic transmissions! Anyone who drove an automatic-equipped Honda or Acura from the 80s or early 90s probably remembers how FIRMLY they shifted! Depending on throttle position, some shifts could throw you thru the windshield (or at least give you mild whiplash)! But they were well-built and lasted a long time in most cases (200k+ miles with basic maintenance).

In terms of performance and fuel efficiency, the 5-speed automatic used in current Honda/Acura models is more than sufficient for most owners. It only seems out-of-place on the higher-end Acura TL and RL luxury sedans...and the TL is so homely that the transmission is the least of its worries!

7. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's the problem with a lot of the newest 6-speed automatics, especially when they're paired with a 4-cylinder engine! Their single-minded focus is on fuel economy...not driveability or performance! GM's 4-cylinder/6-speed AT versions of the Chevy Mailbu and Equinox SUV are the worst I've experienced. They rush thru the lower gears and get to 6th as quickly as they can, which allows the Equinox to claim a 32mpg EPA Highway rating. Once it's in top gear, it's also very reluctant to downshift unless you floor the throttle...and then you'll still have to wait a few seconds.

The Ford Fusion and Escape 2.5L models aren't much better. They rush thru the upshifts, but they are more willing to kick down than the GMs.

The kicker is, if you drive any of them hard enough to delay upshifts for good acceleration, the fuel economy ends up in the toilet!

8. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    get a dual clutch semi automatic gearbox if it available....

In straight line the C63 is a tad faster than M3, but in a place with lot of curves, then the C63 will be left behind.

I am thinking of getting a C63 by next year christmas, if i can get a promotion, but i doubt it. Either way, i will be getting Merc of some description next year.

9. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    The Camry (XLE v6 2009 Model) loves 4th gear. It just does. It will stay in 4th for as long as it can. Only thing I like about the Camry is the fact that it gets 29MPG when driven in a straight line. While going 85+. From California to Phoenix. (Side Rant: SCREW YOU SPEED CAMERAS! Every friggin mile they have a speed camera just sitting there. That pisses me off SOOOO much). Its kind of ironic that the car with the biggest engine in my family gets the best mileage.

Actually, the 6sp auto in the XC90 is pretty nice. My mothers XC90 (3.2L v6 (Don't get me started on it. It is such an underpowered engine its not even funny)) is pretty responsive, even with the anemic engine. And with the XC90 I have learned that the only way to drive it is with Traction control and Spin control off.

/End My Sleep Deprived rant.

10. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I drove a Chevy truck a few weeks ago that had tow/haul mode. That shifted HARD. Kinda changes my mind on the automatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.