Audiophile Corner

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Georgel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It should be a great deal at that price :)

Please make sure they are in good condition though.

I would also recommend considering something like Ultrasone DXP in that general price, they are quite great, although that Denon seems a tad more comfy. The Denon will not isolate much better though, if you need utmost isolation

You know, there are headphones that cost 50.000 USD. :)

most headphones until 4000 USD are justifiable in their price, what goes above tends to be more of a statement in R&D rather than an actual product, but really, with the development costs needed to make some good headphones, anything until ~3K USD is justifiable.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I suppose if it is needed for a business purpose and nothing more affordable can deliver the results. Or, if you have plenty of money to spend and it makes you extra happy, then OK. For the average consumer that just enjoys listening to music, probably not so much. But, as the thread titles suggests, this is the "Audiophile Corner" and that is the focus of discussion.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    Georgel likes this.
  3. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just got the Audeze Mobius headset. My only issue so far is tuning the microphone...

Georgel likes this.
  4. Georgel

Reputations:
    Yes, most peole who call themselves Audiophiles are in crazy love with them music.

On the other hand, of course, you could listen to anything below 30 USD and be happy :)

I have not tried that one quite yet, seems Audeze has beel delivering the pre-orders for now

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Even with my mediocre ear, I love music. And, I have heard some pretty ugly/muddy sounds coming from crappy (yet sometimes expensive in spite of that) speakers and headphones. I like the whole spectrum, at least what I can hear, but without the bass to go with it I lose interest pretty fast. And, no... I am not an "audiophile" mostly because I can't be. I'm also frugal in most things and think spending over $150-200 for headphones is highway robbery. I also understand this is just another form of being an "enthusiast" just like PC gaming or overclocking, and those things are not inexpensive hobbies either. Combining these hobbies might be financially catastrophic unless you are very wealthy, LOL.

Token CDN and Georgel like this.
  6. Georgel

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You will want a windscreen on it since it picks up air/breathing quite easily. If you can get the microphone positioned right, it sounds pretty good. If the detachable mic was a bit longer, it would help a lot. I will have to toy with it more once my windscreens come in.

I have tried it mostly for gaming so I cannot say much for the music part yet. Still trying to work it out in terms of footsteps and being able to distinctly tell what bullets are what in games like Escape From Tarkov.

Georgel likes this.
  8. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup, you can consider us the BGA haters of the audio world, LOL

That's the wonderful thing about enthusiast hobbies, everybody can find their own niche to throw their money into. As much as I found your thread on modding that Clevo you have interesting, I couldn't help wondering why. Yes, it is admirable you can continue getting that kind of performance out of an obsolete machine, but I don't see how anybody could justify spending the time and money doing it.
    I being the key word. You obviously have a passion for that sort of thing, so more power to you.

I also consider myself a mid-fi kinda guy, so I also have to scratch my head at some of the prices of audio gear these days. I just bought a $150 pair of headphones and consider them to be a great value for money prospect, but there's no way I'd consider spending 10x that much.
    One nice thing is that there is also some phenomenally good gear to be found in the sub $100 range. The whole "chi-fi" market is really pushing the boundaries on the quality of sound you can get for a small amount of money.

Aroc and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yup, there are good values in that price range, and for those of us with ordinary hearing abilities they sound awesome. My Crusher headphones are about the same price as the Panasonic on-ear noise cancelling headphones that lasted me 10 years. At the time, I compared them side-by-side with Bose headphones in real time, using the same songs. They sounded exactly the same (to my ears) as the Bose headphones that were 300% more expensive and since I used them 10 years I definitely got my money's worth.

For the record, I am done flushing money down the toilet on expensive laptops. More than the money, the amount of effort required is too much. I only buy cheap laptops now and treat them as disposable products. However, I am finding it takes every bit as much money to have a desktop that I am satisfied with... maybe even a little more money to be honest. There is no such thing as too much horsepower, because once you have pushed it as far as it will go you have to spend more money to go faster and not lose interest in it. But, building and running a wicked desktop is not nearly as much of a pain in the butt as fixing all of the broken laptop trash. Life is better when you skip over the fixing part and jump straight to the tweaking part. Imagine having to stop and fix problems that impaired performance for every new expensive headphone or speaker you purchase before you could start using them to rock your world.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM