Audiophile Corner

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Georgel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. Georgel

Reputations:
  3. Georgel

Reputations:
  4. Georgel

Reputations:
    My review on IT04 is live now!

Quite the amazing little IEM, balanced in every possible way, a speedy and punchy bass, a clear and juciy midrange, and an interesting extension in the treble that makes those shine and explode in the most impressive ways :)

Also, I still feel the logo looks pretty darn cool, just like a Fender Guitar AMP.

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/09/ibasso-it04-balance-in-everything.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Georgel I come to you looking for assistance! I see you've been on a long spree of IEM reviews, but was hoping we could switch gears for just a moment and take a look at Closed Back Headphones. I recently had both the Sennheiser HD6XX's from Massdrop and the HiFiMan HE-400i's, both of which are open back as I'm sure you already know. But I was wanting to switch gears into some closed, due to current working and living situations I need to be able to block out more of the outside noise, but I don't want to feel suffocated in these new closed backs (if that makes sense). I'm hoping you might be able to lead me in the correct direction in finding a pair that is more neutral, a bit airy if need be to make them feel more open, and hopefully is within the $500 range. Comfort is probably the #1 factor for me, even if it requires swapping pads, I don't mind doing do if the headphones will be worth it. Thanks!

Edit: I guess I should mention that I enjoyed the HiFiMan's over the Sennheiser due to them being a bit more fun and warm. I felt like I could listen to music longer through them than in the Sennheisers because they were so much more detailed.

Georgel likes this.
  6. Georgel

Reputations:
    Hello there :)

Hm... I know quite a few closed-back headphones out there, but I am not sure what to recommend when it comes to something that is both comfortable and warm, that won't make you feel suffocated. You're most probably talking about the soundstage, which can be downright small on some headphones.

I have two suggestions, from everything I tested.

First, Meze 99 Classics. Those will be warm and buttery, maybe a bit too much. They are very comfortable, they isolate ok, and they are nice for long hours of usage. If you aren't afraid of doing some EQ, you can't really get a better pair at 300 USD

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2017/04/meze-99-classics.html

The other thing I would suggest is Ultrasone Signature DXP. Those are exactly on the limit of your budget, and they are much better in terms of detail, soundstage size, and overall sonic quality. Even so, they are not quite as comfortable, their earpads are smaller, their fit is tighter, their earpads are harder, and they are made more for portability rather than for absolute comfort while being closed. You may feel the need to add some bass via EQ, and you may need to swap the pads, but otherwise, if you're locked down at about 500 USD, those do a stellar job.

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/07/ultrasone-signature-dxp-legend-continues.html

Other than those two, there simply aren't many headphones that would have a better soundstage and be comfortable, and isolate fairly well. I will look into it and return if I find anything else interesting :)

Hope this helps a little :)

XiCynx likes this.
  7. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those Meze 99 Classics are a very wonderful look headphone. I think I will like them more than the Ultrasone Signature DXP purely on the fact of how much more comfortable they seem. I don't mind EQing as it seems like the Meze will need some but based off of your review I can EQ them to the moon and back without the worry of any distortion. I will mostly be listening to rock/metal, movie scores and pop punk. They will mainly be used for playing games as well. Would you recommend me taking that bump out of the 200-250hz range or do you find it a rather pleasant addition to most listening experiences? If it's been a little too long and you can't remember that's okay as well.

Georgel likes this.
  8. Georgel

Reputations:
    I still have them actually, my girl is using them :)

I think they are stellar for Punk, Rock and Metal, if you do the EQ

About the upper bass / lower midrange bump, I love some more in that area, but they have a bit more than I generally prefer, basically, they sound great, but a bit too warm.

By the way, they sound awesome from a smartphone / laptop, but they also scale pretty well with the source, if you have something better as a source, they will sound better than from a lower quality source :)

9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello @Georgel ,
    Do you have any advice on CIEMs as well? Shipped my JH16 Pro's for a re-shell and haven't gotten a quote yet, but if it's a bit steep then I might as well opt for a newer model, not necessarily JH's. Ordered them back in 2010 and haven't kept up to date with developments, but perhaps you did? If not then what would be your favourite 'normal' IEM? If that manufacturer also has a custom line then they'll likely share many of the technologies.

Georgel likes this.
  10. Georgel

Reputations:
    Hello there :)

Before I answer this question, I wanted to ask how you felt about JH16 and how did you feel about having CIEMs instead of typical rubber-tip IEMs?

What did you like about them, and what did you not like about them?

It is much simpler to pick something from the sea of products if you're looking for something specific, like similar tuning, but improvement in detail, or a brighter tuning, or a darker tuning, etc :)