Audiophile Corner

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Georgel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, those are coming to me for review really soon as well! :)

Arrrrbol and hmscott like this.
  2. Georgel

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Georgel

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Are the FiiO EH3 NC's arriving soon? I'm looking forward to your review of them before ordering.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Georgel likes this.
  5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    BeyerDynamic DT-1990 Pro will be arriving later today. :)

Convel, Georgel and hmscott like this.
  6. Chastity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Foobar2000 > Equalizer APO with Parametric EQ from AutoEQ to correct to Harman Curve > Creative G6 @ 24/96 Virtualized 7.1 (I have 24/96 source files) > Headroom Supreme Portable (?) Amp (old school) > Replacement cable (Mini-XLR to 1/4") 4' > DT-1990 with Sith Lord Headphone Stand

Now I have to untrain my brain from the Sony MDR-SA5000 to these. AARRGGHH

Georgel and hmscott like this.
  7. Georgel

Reputations:
    They arrived to me now, I just have to film the video review

So far, I'm blown away by the overall quality on those :)

That\'s just an excellent choice!!

How are you liking them so far?

Also

I have finished my review on HIFIMAN Arya!! If you love a huge soundstage, a comfy headphone, and if you're looking for an amazing, warm, detailed, and spacious sound at a good price, Arya may be just your thing!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/light-sound-rulez-hifiman-arya-review.html

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  8. Chastity

Reputations:
    I'm loving the heck out of them. :) With the Balanced pads, I get what I was looking for: I get to keep the detail, speed, and separation that I got accustomed to with the SA5000, but add the levels and extension into the bass and subbass. The Analytical pads are too similar to the SA5000, tho I haven't played with EQ with those. I was interested in also trying the Dekoni Elite Velour pads, based off of DIY-audiohaven's suggestions.

I found the Creative G6's Xamp to be just on the wrong side of power output for the DT-1990 to be at their best in regards to dynamics, so I broke out my Headroom amp, and that seems to be working. Still haven't decided to either use the Headroom for volume control, or the G6 acting as a preamp. I was also considering trying out some tube love, and I'm interested in either a Schitt Vali 2 Hybrid, or just diving in with a Valhalla 2 OTL.

I also invested in one of NewFantasia's mini-XLR replacement cables meant for AKG cans, 1.2m length. Great for desktop use, and when I walk around with them. My LG V40 ThinQ does a satisfactory job of driving these with the HQ DAC. NewFantasia has them listed on Amazon as BeyerDynamic replacement, but based on the pictures, those cables are black, vs the crimson of the AKG cables, which I prefer. :)

If only the DT-1990 came in gun metal color....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  9. Georgel

Reputations:
    I finished writing my in-depth review of the Periodic Audio Nickel. While surely it is an amplifier that's specific in its purpose, it does its job really well, and despite the price point, it does have a place in today's market, as it filled a spot that was left empty by other manufacturers. I invite you to read more about it in the full in-depth review, which I'm copying to Head-Fi as wel speak!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/uber-nano-mini-periodic-audio-nickel.html

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  10. Chastity

Reputations:
    I went further into my headphone amping research, and learned about the difference of delta-sigma DAC vs multibit DAC. Now I'm curious to try one. I was considering a Magni 3 amp, but after researching the output levels for my HeadRoom Supreme, I discovered they have more amp power, but what I have is "enough". I get a great playback with what I have, but I have this nagging idea from my PC PSU logic: always get more than what you need, so that you don't stress a PSU. Less noise, and they last longer. Same can be applied to amps. Then, there is the temptation regarding tubes... D:

So I was considering:

1) Schitt Asgard + Multibit DAC addon: Use the G6 as a Surround Virtualizer / HTRF Generator, and use the optical out (operates up to 24/96) to the Analog Devices AD5547 DAC. ($400) This puts out 600mW RMS per channel, is a single device, and thus single power supply, and has the juice to run 600ohm cans if I ever go that route. Downside is ever considering tube amps, I'll lose the multibit DAC, but I'll probably never need a better solid state amp. (Unless I output to the tube using the pre-outs, and use the Asgard as a preamp)

2) Schitt Modi Multi ($250) + Magni 3 ($59/closeout) or Magni 3+ ($99) Magni 3 is 430 mW RMS, 3+ 410mW RMS, tho it's described as having more power... go figure. This option allows me to use the Modi with future amps, like say I decide to try tube rolling.

3) Schitt Modi Multi + HeadRoom Supreme (400mW @ 100 ohm)- minimal investment :)

4) Schitt Modi Multi + Schitt Vali ($149) 249 mW RMS @ 300 ohm - opens me up to Tube Hell. Fortunately it's only 1 tube, but I can see myself going through several in search of that one I will love.

Arrghh!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019