Audiophile Corner

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Georgel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You could try running without Nahimic installed, with Realtek only - or without both, people have complained about Realtek / Nahimic coloring the source sound. With headphones hopefully the Nahimic sound shaping for the laptop speakers is disabled.

Also, there should be ESS Sabre settings available to change aspects of the DAC, and of course Nahimic tuning to remove any sound shaping. Look for the settings icon.

Here's coverage from the old MSI ESS Sabre DAC / AMP + Nahimic, looking at the images you can see the settings:
    https://www.msi.com/blog/ess-sabre-hifi-gives-hd6-mix-headset-greater-sound-experience-on-gs60

You show all of the enhancements off, but Nahimic might still be interfering with the sound. You could try setting the sampling rate down to 48khz instead of 96khz, and see if that sounds better.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    I've not used Nahimic for a long time and just installed them to try a few things but I uninstalled it right after, it is now totally absent. Not sure how it will affect by uninstalling the Realtek HD Audio drivers because the generic audio drivers that comes with Windows is still Realtek.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Which sounds best? Each probably has it's own characteristics, accuracy may not be important, it's how it sounds to you. I'd try it without Realtek / MS drivers too at some point when you have time.

Really the best is to take the digital stream and decode it external to the laptop, since the laptop environment - PC in general - isn't isolated enough from stray signals.

Perhaps the S/PDIF digital output to an external DAC / AMP / Receiver might work better?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. Beemo

Reputations:
    They will all sound the same with or without the drivers or nahimic, it's the cheap built-in dac that needs replacing.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt (into my Sennheiser HD600 headphones or Empire Ears Bravado IEMs). Amazing audio output for the money.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Beemo

Reputations:
    I have seen it before in a local audio shop, but never knew what it was, I made a quick search and found that it's a very portable DAC/Amp combo. I might consider buying if I get the chance to test it in a local shop. I also read a lot of good reviews about it.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Vingard

Reputations:
    Definitely do yourself a favor and audition one if you can. Thank me later ;)

8. Beemo

Reputations:
    Will do. But for now the question is how well it compared to desktop amp/dac combo?

9. Vingard

Reputations:
    Depends on the amp/dac combo to which you are comparing it, since they vary greatly in price and performance. For the money, and given its portability factor, the Dragonfly is hard to beat. I also use a Fiio Q5 with my iPhone, which is an incremental step up from the Dragonfly. Also take a look at the Schiit Asgard/Jotunheim/Lyr for a DAC/amp desktop combo.

hmscott likes this.
  10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Unless you're looking at a very high-end unit, a portable DAC/amp combo will be compromised in some way versus separate units. If you're going to be at a desk most of the time, I would absolutely go for discrete pieces, with the aforementioned Schiit-brand products being at the top of the list for price/performance.

hmscott and Beemo like this.