Audiophile Corner

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Georgel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I was looking to spice up my PC's audio. The Turtle Beach wireless headset that was my daily driver will be relegated to PS4 duty and the infrequent times I use Discord voice chat, Skype, and Google Voice. For less than $200 total, I picked up a second-hand Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm with removable cable mod and a Sound BlasterX G5.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Convel and Georgel like this.
  2. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Very good choices they seem (?)

3. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    I'm done with so called "gaming headsets" I just bought the Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum 3 weeks ago as a replacement for my recently died Corsair HS50 (faux leather has expired)...and man the G633 is just a big downgrade, the sound is just bad and even worst using the Logitech G Hub software the volume on the G633 is pretty low and I have to turn it up to 80%. Logitech is good when it comes to keyboard, mice, and etc. but not with audio so I will definitely avoiding their audio peripherals from now on.

I still did not tried an audiophile headphones before but I've been trying to get my hands on the Beyerdynamic DT 990 (250 ohms) but not sure how the ESS Sabre Hifi DAC alone will drive the 250 ohms because it may take a while for me to find external sound card since I already put my money on DT 990 which is not cheap.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Georgel likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The Sabre should be fine. The onboard DAC on my work 2015 MacBook Pro can drive the 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT 880s without issue.

Beemo likes this.
  5. Beemo

Reputations:
    I'm glad that built in DAC can drive that 250 ohms, I have one other person @dirtytape also used the DT 990 (250 ohms) with his GT75VR (same model as mine) and seems to work pretty well. I will also let you guys know how it goes.

dirtytape likes this.
  6. dirtytape

dirtytape Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the DT 770 pro 250 ohm headphones. The ESS sabre dac easily drives these headphones. I keep my system volume around 50% and these headphones are still loud and produce amazing sound. I'm not an audiophile as my hearing is not great from 8 years in the military and there are certain frequency ranges I have a hard time with.

DT 770 Pro 250 ohm coupled with Ant Lion's Mod Mic 5.0 makes for a great gaming setup. I play Battlefield 5, counterstrike source and GO and WoW and I can hear everything. Movies and shows sound amazing.
    The DAC in the laptop is impressive to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Beemo likes this.
  7. Beemo

Reputations:
    Finally received my DT 990 (250 ohm) and plugged it in directly to the MSI GT75VR and I immediately got disappointed with the volume, even at 100% it's not loud to hear the ambiance, effects, and tiny little footsteps in some games like "BELOW".

At first, I thought that the headphones is defective but when I asked some people over at Head-Fi forums and they said that it's required an amp and the ESS Sabre HiFi DAC alone is not powerful enough to drive high impedance headphones and really required to buy at least an external Amp to boost the audio signal or Amp/DAC combo to get the full potential.

Update:

Today I bought a slightly used JDS Labs headphone amp called Objective 2 (amp only) from a local audio store, the amp boosted the volume tremendously, everything is crisp and clear now. I will probably going to buy an external DAC to get the full potential out of this headphones.

The question now is; do you really need amp or amp/dac combo? Well, not necessarily the ESS Sabre HiFi DAC can drive a 250 ohm headphones but it will struggle, and you are not going to get the full experience so yeah if you're planning to buy a DT 990 (250 ohm) you must get at least an amp or amp/dac combo otherwise you're gonna get disappointed using just the on board soundcard or if you're in a budget get the 32 ohm version instead or other models with low impedance.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    If you're going to be taking your laptop everywhere, then getting a portable DAC/amp combo would be worthwhile. For desktop use, a separate DAC and amp like the Schiit Magni and Modi will (most likely) deliver a better overall experience.

9. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Buy a pre-owned Sennheiser HD600 and you will be satisfied for life.

10. dirtytape

dirtytape Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This doesn't make sense to me. My DT 770 pro headphones are 250 ohm. They sound great and they get really loud too. That ESS Sabre DAC is rated to power up to 300 ohm headphones. The fact it doesn't drive headphones that are identical to mine drives me to believe there is something wrong with your DAC. It has a built in amp. This is odd to me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk